00 Mountaineer Bucking / Power Loss at HWY Speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 Mountaineer Bucking / Power Loss at HWY Speed

gschramm

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Mountaineer
Daughter had 7 hour trip (Interstate / Highway) last week. About three hours in, car began to buck and lose power. Barely able to maintain 50 mph or less. Stopped, waited and started again just to have reoccur in a mile or two. Limped to exit, stopped for a bit, filed gas, made sure recent replacement gas cap on correct and finished trip with car running OK. I am worried about her return trip in a few days. Replaced fuel filter (fair amount of crud came out, and added Heat and fuel system cleaner to tank. Have run several days now with no reoccurrence. Had it at highway speeds for 30 + minutes with no problem. Outside temps have been cooler than the day she had the problem so don't know if heat could be a factor. Any suggestions on what I should check or do to make sure problem does not happen again???

I am not sure how much "a fair amount" of crud is that came out of your filter, but I get very suspect with the fuel systems on these vehicles, and when I discover an unusual amount of debris in the filter I replace the fuel pump.

The fuel pumps on these things are in the tank, making it uncomfortable and time consuming to replace if done ourselves. After the pump has picked up that much crud, it is a matter of time before they fade or fail. The strainer is supposed to keep most of the big stuff from running through the pump, but still.. there was enough that made a difference in the filter.

My thoughts!

Back