00 OHV Galloping like a 3 legged drunk | Page 6 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

00 OHV Galloping like a 3 legged drunk

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Any mechanic that starts messing with ignition parts after reporting 2 cylinders with low compression, one of them being FORTY POUNDS is a garbage mechanic. If that’s truly the case that’s the ONLY place to start repairs.

Nothing you dump in is going to restore the 80-100 psi you are short.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
My horrible Grand Ham is the little 4 cylinder, though at this point chugging coolant is the understatement of the century, I'll dump in 2-4 gallons of straight water, drive my spawn to school 2 miles away, bring it home and dump in 2-4 more, let it sit all day, dump in 2 more, drive it to pick up my spawn, bring it home, pop the hood and repeat the process in the morning. I've only had one car that left me sitting on the shoulder more, that was a 79 Bronco, put a down payment on it at a pot lot when I was like 19, drove it like a month and told the dealer where it had last broken down, said I'd consider my down payment as the cost of renting it and they could shove their contract up their butt, they never did try to contact me again.

I was just looking on CL just for the heck of it, I can't believe some of the absolute garbage people are trying to sell, and the prices they're asking?!?!!?
"1986 Ford Tempo. Fancy stereo. Laundry list of new parts. Clean body except for the rust, nice interior except for the stain on the back seat that looks like there was a corpse in there for a year. 295k miles. Yeah BTW the motor is completely blown, hasn't started in ten years. Transmission like totally fell out too, I put it in the trunk so you can put it back in. AsIs 2000$ I know what I have so don't try to lowball me"
I get that the day of the 500$ wonder car is long past, much as it pains me to accept it, but there's no way in hell people are really so stupid as to buy an older vehicle with a blown headgasket and a slipping transmission for 90% of the average asking price for the same year make and model WITHOUT any current issues... Please tell me people aren't actually that stupid?
If they are I'm listing HP for like 3k... Or maybe I should list it for the 4,400 I paid for it, recoup the buy price and write off the insane amount it's taken to keep it on the road :laugh:
Most of the “I know what I have” posts on Facebook are trolling.

Fenrir

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Got it back a bit ago. Purring like a kitten, toodled around town a bit just to kind of give it some hell and see what it would do, engine light stayed off and it's running like it was before we moved and it started acting up.
I did explain my current financial/physical situation to him when I made the appointment, not going to hazard a guess at whether he did more than just the coil or not, but there's a few entirely unrelated spots in there that are looking mighty clean for an engine that's been collecting dust for a couple of years. (it's also entirely possible that Granny asked him to do other things and charge me for the cheapest part) Worse comes to worse I've got one issue nailed down, drive it for a couple of weeks and see if anything else goes sideways on me or if it starts running rough again. Went and had the oil changed while I was out, they tried to tell me I have a nasty leak in the oil pan gasket... Same thing they told me about my Pontiac 6 months ago (I'm calling BS, I've been under there enough that I would have noticed a severe leak from my pan gasket).

EB4X

Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
/\ So the coil you installed was a cheapo ...out of box failure....so installing a quality fixed main issue....? .... What about the two MAF codes?....is there anything on the invoice about replacing MAF and or wiring/ plug ? So they mixed up customers vehicles and gave you someone else's compression readings ..?

Fenrir

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
/\ So the coil you installed was a cheapo ...out of box failure....so installing a quality fixed main issue....? .... What about the two MAF codes?....is there anything on the invoice about replacing MAF and or wiring/ plug ? So they mixed up customers vehicles and gave you someone else's compression readings ..?
The coil I installed was definitely a cheapo, I ordered the cheapest one I could get my hands on and it took like two weeks to arrive because it came from China. There's nothing on the invoice about the MAF, but I swear the top of it looks significantly cleaner than it did when I put it back after blasting it's guts with electronics cleaner, my kid says I'm seeing things :dunno:
I'd believe that it's possible that they gave me someone else's compression readings, this little shop is constantly swamped, like I've driven by it off and on for years and the only times I've ever seen their lot empty has been the big holidays, when they are open you've got to park across the street and walk to their office because there's zero room to park in the lot.
I can't do it tonight, mainly because I'm a giant wuss and don't want to go outside in the cold again, but tomorrow afternoon I'll disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight, take an ultra scenic route to the grocery store, then throw the OBD-II scanner back on it and see if it gives me anything other than the blasted airbag light, which I'm honestly not worried about, as long as that light's been bouncing randomly between on, blinking, and off, I figure if it was going to randomly deploy for no reason it would have happened long before now.

donalds

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sohc
If your check engine light is off then I'd run it