• Register Today It's free!

00EX 5.0 & trans into a 98 sport

Magicfan25

Reaction score
City, State
Central FL and WPB Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport SOHC
ok, my computer just ate my first attempt at typing this, so lets try again......

First, ive spent alot of time with the search feature, going through over 30pages of old threads.

Ive found a 00 4 door explorer that I want to use as a donor truck. Ive currently got a 98sport with the 4.0 SOHC. I know its easier to swap a 98, but there are reasons for wanting the 00 for the donor, that aside...

Here is basically a list of what I see as issues or things that confuse my tiny little brain. Any input into these issues or things I havent mentioned are greatly appreciated.

1) Will the trans for the V8 fit in my trans tunnel?

2) If the trans will fit, will my drive shaft connect to the output shaft of the trans? Also wonder if the length of my DS will be an issue (i dont see this being a big deal if somethins off, but i may be wrong)

3) Fuel system. the 00 has a returnless style and from what I gather I have a return style fuel system. Can I just take the fuel pump, FPR and the lines including fuel rail and use that with the PCM from the 00 without any issues?

4) As for the wiring, I would just have to make sure all the pins line up to the connection the PCM with things like ABS sensors correct?

5) Will my current radiator and fan be enough for the 5.0? I saw somewhere I may need the fan shroud from the donor, anybody know for sure?

6) AC, will the compressor be compatible with the rest of my ac system?

I know im gonna need things like new motor and trans mounts, go ahead and replace the belt. new fuel filter, change the plugs/wires while its out. Any other suggestions on things to check/replace while its apart? It has approx 50k miles on the motor and trans.

I know this is a hell of alot of info to ask for guys.

Ive spent a couple hours searching, but some of it probably didnt sink in. If/when it happens I promise a full writeup with pics and all that fun stuff.

thanks in advance,

Jerry

Back