01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion | Page 33 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac 4x4 Lift Options Discussion

Id there s step by step procedure for spring over axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Caught a picture of this beast on my game came a couple nights ago. Finally got a clear picture the next day.

PRMS0023_zps14ee0d65.jpg

PRMS0037_zps304bed59.jpg

I installed mine over a weekend without air tools but I did need a torch and a breaker bar with a few extensions. Aside from those the only thing I did not have that I had to run out and buy was a pipe wrench to hold the body mounts while removing the bolts

For future readers: I had to do the same thing. It may be a good idea to add this to the tools needed for the BL.

I meant to put that in the lifted picture thread, oops.

Hey all. This is my first post, and admittedly, I'm rather un educated as far as lifting and the like. I have a 2003 sport trac and I'm trying to dress it up. Everybody in my town that drives a sport trac is 60 and I want the one in town that looks beastly. That being said, I want to do it within a reasonable cost. Like, lowest cost possible without sacraficing quality.

So I am already planning on getting the KMC XD series Rockstars, because, let's face it, a very nice yet aggressive looking wheel. As far as tires, I'm trying to go with Toyo Open Country ATII 245/70R-17.

Now, I'm afraid that won't quite get me the stance I want, and that the tires will rub. I know it will be a snug fit. Which means I need a bit of lift to it, hence the reason I am here.

I have no idea where to start. I understand the principle behind shackles and blocks on the rear suspension, But I don't understand the front lift at all. Forgive my ignorance. I just need somebody to point me in the right direction and lay it out there for me plain jane style.

I want to get into the mod stuff and be able to to the work myself, but without having the guide of a seasoned professional and not knowing where to begin to look, coupled with not understanding acronyms, I'm utterly lost.

Care to help?:) I think the best bet is laying it all out there for me. Just say, "Go here."

Thank you so much to all that can help.

I have no idea where to start. I understand the principle behind shackles and blocks on the rear suspension, But I don't understand the front lift at all. Forgive my ignorance. I just need somebody to point me in the right direction and lay it out there for me plain jane style.

Torsion twist the front will give you about an 1.5" of clearance from what I've read... I'm doing it on mine for the taller tires I'm getting.

Torsion twist the front will give you about an 1.5" of clearance from what I've read... I'm doing it on mine for the taller tires I'm getting.

And then just throw blocks on the back to match?and how much faster do the torsion bars get worn out. Is there a better way to do it where it won't wear bits out?

If you're trying to cut costs, ditch the rockstars. They don't look that great on smaller trucks unless you're running 35s and even then they're over used. Personally I like the MB wheels TKOs I used to have on mine.

Anyway on to the lifts. If you are 4wd you can twist the torsion bars to give you up to 2" of lift. Whatever you do, don't go more than 2". And don't worry it looks like a lot more when you set the truck back down. Now thats free except you will need to get an alignment afterward.

The rear is pretty easy to lift as well. You cannot use blocks on these trucks to lift them because the leaf springs are under the axle. If you used blocks it would lower the rear. Instead you can get Warrior Products #153 shackles they will give you ~ a 2" lift in the back. Those will run you about $80 unless you find someone selling theirs for cheap.

The other option for a mild lift is doing a Performance Accessories 3" body lift. This does not affect the suspension at all but is more involved to install and also will cost somewhere around $250.

Also you can do both like I and a lot of others have done and fit 33s or 35s like a couple of us have. If you click on the link below (in my signature) that says my registry you will see pictures of just the TT/Shackle lift and then the body lift with 35s and I think it's all on the 1st page if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps

Just the shackles and torsion twist with stock tires:

photo4.jpg

TT/Shackles + 3" BL and 35s:

21a5afa8.jpg

BTW the wheels in the 2nd picture are the TKOs I mentioned earlier

Just for fun here's what a solid axle swap and 35s look with the 3" BL still in:

825B4AE3-B9FC-46DC-97CA-AA358E372168_zpsxek5nmky.jpg

And probably more realistic here's a ST running TT/Shackles with 33s:

CBB90CE0-9E1F-4451-81C1-B13C3A9BB552_zpsuqbm6sjz.jpg

If you're trying to cut costs, ditch the rockstars. They don't look that great on smaller trucks unless you're running 35s and even then they're over used. Personally I like the MB wheels TKOs I used to have on mine.

Anyway on to the lifts. If you are 4wd you can twist the torsion bars to give you up to 2" of lift. Whatever you do, don't go more than 2". And don't worry it looks like a lot more when you set the truck back down. Now thats free except you will need to get an alignment afterward.

The rear is pretty easy to lift as well. You cannot use blocks on these trucks to lift them because the leaf springs are under the axle. If you used blocks it would lower the rear. Instead you can get Warrior Products #153 shackles they will give you ~ a 2" lift in the back. Those will run you about $80 unless you find someone selling theirs for cheap.

The other option for a mild lift is doing a Performance Accessories 3" body lift. This does not affect the suspension at all but is more involved to install and also will cost somewhere around $250.

Also you can do both like I and a lot of others have done and fit 33s or 35s like a couple of us have. If you click on the link below (in my signature) that says my registry you will see pictures of just the TT/Shackle lift and then the body lift with 35s and I think it's all on the 1st page if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps
Thanks. It does. I just want a little height. I feel like when I looked at the leaf springs yesterday, they were on top of the axle, which is possible that the previous owner did some slight modding as there is a trailer braking system in the rig. But who know except the daylight tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

No problem. If the springs were flipped to Spring Over Axle, you'd definitely notice a sharp rake to the front because that gets you about 5-6" of lift in the rear.

You can also save a little money by doing the add a leaf in the back. I recently did that on mine and got 1.5".

And AAL will help with sagging springs.

No issues with sagging. Though it may be good for pulling the boat. anybody know the cost of adding a leaf?

$37 from Amazon. I didn't have any problems with sagging springs when I did mine, I just liked the long term effects of this versus the shackles.

$37 from Amazon. I didn't have any problems with sagging springs when I did mine, I just liked the long term effects of this versus the shackles.

I like that idea. Can't hurt much, and then I just have to mess with the torsion bars to level it out a bit. Thanks!

And yes, the rock stars may be very common now, but I really like the way they look. Simple yet aggressive.

So the to do list:

Add extra leaf, or use shackles
adjust torsion bars
wheels and tires
linex the grey crap that is beyond sun bleached. May look into paint too.
new exhaust
new headlights and smoked out tail lights if I can find them
paint the body matte black
....and whatever else comes up. Lol

I agree. Long term AAL is better. It won't negatively arch your springs. It's a matter of unbolting the U bolts instead of just the shackle bolts but either way is very easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. Long term AAL is better. It won't negatively arch your springs. It's a matter of unbolting the U bolts instead of just the shackle bolts but either way is very easy.

What tires did your have on those TKOs? Also, the factory torsion key can be adjusted to life the front, correct? I don't have to buy the after market ones? Forgive my ignorance, but ifb I am to understand correctly, the truck is adjustable with the factory parts, except that Ineed an extra leaf or shackles for the back. Yes?

Back