John_Rock

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
01-05 Sport Trac FAQs

I'm starting this FAQs thread today to keep track of things we know about our 1st generation Sport Tracs. Please PM me anything that you feel should be a FAQ in this thread.

First item to FAQ. The Job 1 / Job 2 crossover date. There were some significant changes made between the Job 1 and Job 2 Sport Tracs. It's important to know when ordering parts for the early models.

#1 - Job 1 / Job 2 crossover date = June 24th, 2000.

#2 - 01-02 Sport Tracs came with drum brakes in the rear. In 03+ the Sport Tracs have rear disc brakes.

#3 - Owner's Manuals Online

#4 - Ford Explorer Sport Trac - Wikipedia

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Regards,
John

Keep on Trac'n
WhiteST.gif
RedST.gif
GreenST.gif
BlueST.gif
BlackST.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone use the bed of the trac to carry a large ATV or snowmobile? Just curious :)

anyone use the bed of the trac to carry a large ATV or snowmobile? Just curious :)

Yes I had a 2006 Honda rancher 400 with the bigfoot kit that I not only carried but I kept it parked in the sport trac. Flattened the springs over time and I put leaf spring helpers on to give it the lift back after they settled from the weight.

Johnstone: how do you determine if your ST is Job2? I have a sticker in the door saying my ST 02 was built by FORD USA and date 11/01. tanx:)

Johnstone: how do you determine if your ST is Job2? I have a sticker in the door saying my ST 02 was built by FORD USA and date 11/01. tanx:)
Since your door sticker says 11/01 and that is after June 24th, 2000, then you have a Job 2 ST. Assuming it was assembled in Louisville, Kentucky like all other Explorers.

just changed oil and filter went with Valvoline high millage due to 140k on my st and mobile 1 filter. changed wheel hubs and fixed the vacuum leak that job 2s are famous for. also new battery terminal. my drivers side head light is out should i buy Silver stars? are they worth $50.00?

What are the biggest tires that fit on a gen 1 Sport Trac without a lift?

Answer
265/70-16 - Possible chance of slight rub lock to lock. The 265's are 30.5" tall, and that dimension can vary from tire to tire, mfg to mfg. Some members report running 275/70/16 with minor rubbing as well.

Frequently Asked Question
Can I find out what my Sport Trac's rear gear ratio is?

Answer
Yes, look on the drivers door jam.

Code Axle 46 — 3.73 non-limited slip 42 — 4.10 non-limited slip D4 — 3.73 limited slip D2 — 4.10 limited slip

Inconsistent "Check Gage" light

Answer
The Check Gage light comes on because the oil pressure gauge is reading zero pressure from the sending unit. This usually occurs in cold weather when you first start it after sitting all night - it gets stuck. After about 1-5 minutes of idling or driving the Oil Pressure gauge will suddenly jump to normal pressure and the Check Gage light goes out. Have your dealer replace the "Oil Pressure Sending Unit" to fix.

I've heard of some problems with the new Sport Tracs. What are they?

Answer
Early buyers have commonly reported the following problems with their Sport Tracs, Most of the problems listed below have been corrected by the 2003 model year:

Vibration in the steering during tight, low speed maneuvers
Fuel door rubs against body panel.
Moon roof leak.
Inadequately painted areas in door frame.
Ringing/rattling noise coming from between cab and cargo bed area.
Difficult or inconsistent starting due to a defective fuel pump.
Premature wear of the ball joints
Transmission 2-3 slipping when shifting
Weak seat belt retraction
suspension noises

Thanks to http://www.mysporttrac.com

AWESOMENESS

AS a new Sport Trac owner I already found this thread very helpful, nice work!

our 02 trac is getting back from the shop this week, $5000 in body damage = ouch!
it has 114K miles with the following issues:
rattle near rear window & 2-3 shift flare

Now I know where to look to find the fixes, thanks!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. :)

LOL you dont have to worry about that, I have ALWAYS wanted a sport trac, lifted, V8 :)

I am looking to order a set of wheels for my 2005 2WD Sport Trac and was wondering what bs to order... looking at 15x10 or 15x8

I updated first post with the Rear Window Initialization Procedure.

owners' manuals
Dead Link Removed

- you can add this to the first post, and delete this if possible,
came to this thread looking for them, but didn't find link

owners' manuals
Dead Link Removed

- you can add this to the first post, and delete this if possible,
came to this thread looking for them, but didn't find link
Added, thanks bdmaash. :thumbsup:

Tran problem

I was wondering I have an 01 sport trac I am the original owner and about the spring of 08 I put a lift in 2 inch shackles in the rear and the TT and also a 3 inch body lift with 33.12" tires and I noticed some changes like it take more on the engine to get it up hill but its not big change but my transmission is starting to slip it started about a year ago and I put an additive in an it stopped it but now its starting up again and its a lot worse its only really bad when changing into second all the rest are just minor slips and I have also noticed that when I'm using my 4 wheel drive when i'm down shifting its starting to like buck the truck now idk if thats something else or still the trans my buddy works at a trans shop and said he will rip it apart and look at it but I don't wanna waste all that money I was wondering if anyone had this problem with it lifted and knew what it was?

If you have 3.73 gears you will notice this type of thing with it being harder to going from a stand still even with 4.10 gears it will be noticable from what I hear. With the slipping though, sounds like you are going to need to have the trans repaired. How many miles are on the truck?

New 2005 Sport Trac owner

Just found your site. Do you have to be an elite member to see classified. i am having trouble finding it.

Had a Yamaha 400 Kodiak that I used to carry in my ST with the tailgate down. I stored the loading ramps under the 4 Wheeler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does anybody know if a ST and ranger of 01 swap bodies

Back