01-05 Sport Trac FAQs | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac FAQs

Why are you guys posting these questions in the FAQ section? Start a new thread for your issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift Kit options for 2wd

Hello, I recently purchased a 01 Explorer Sport Trac 2WD and am coming to the realization that only a 3" body lift can be done! Is this true, are there no lift kits out there for 2WD Sport Tracs?? I've read through some posts and heard some people talking about torsion twists and shackles but I believe that was for a 2WD Explorer Sport... Please help, i'll be bummed if all you can do is a 3" body lift :(

Actually there more lift options for 2wd ST's then there are for 4wd ST's. You can do lift spindles, shackles, body lift, torsion twist, spring over axle. I'm jealous that you can do more to your 2wd then I can do to my 4wd. I've seen 2wd ST's lifted 11"'s before.

Hello all, I'm new in here. I've got a 2002 Sport trac with a bad motor. The Hollander interchange manual says only to use '01-'03 Sport and Sport Trac engines. Why is this? Surely other 4.0 liter engines will work. I'll bet it is in the different intake designs I've seen at the salvage yard when looking for one but I'd like to be sure before I put the money out on an engine not from a Sport, that there aren't other crucial differences also such as computer compatibility etc. Any help would be appreciated.

I looked it over and it really doesn't apply as I am trying to avoid tearing down that much by getting an engine close to mine to start with. The problem is that finding an 01 to 03 Sport engine around here is rather difficult.

Good luck then.

Is there a way to tell whether the oil filter you need is metric or sae? I forgot which one I used last time, and everywhere I go they tell me it could be either one.

Is there a way to tell whether the oil filter you need is metric or sae? I forgot which one I used last time, and everywhere I go they tell me it could be either one.

Yes, even the Motorcraft site doesn't specify. I wonder why I've never seen this addressed before. What's the number printed on the filter that's on it now???? What's your production date? I wonder if this is a Job 1/Job 2 thing.The 2002 shows FL820 metric. The 2000 Explorer SOHC motor shows a FL1A so I bet it is.

Mine is a 2001, maybe that's why they offer two options, but both autozone and advance don't have a job 1/job 2 discriminant. Mines a job two, and like I said I can't read the filter without loosening it, and I don't want to do that until im going to change the oil.

I decided id post it here in case someone else has the same question. It is a faq thread after all.

Posting it here is a good idea.

Unless you pull the number off of the current filter or we can determine that it is a Job 1/Job 2 difference then you'll have to buy both and take one back...or have it changed where they have both filters. Being a Job 2 I'll put my money on the FL820 metric.

I will post when I figure it out. Most likely its a job 1/job 2 thing, maybe ill check down at a dealer.

As a follow-up, I think I have confirmed from various posts that Job 1's use FL1A and Job 2's and on use FL820S.

Answer
Early buyers have commonly reported the following problems with their Sport Tracs, Most of the problems listed below have been corrected by the 2003 model year:

Vibration in the steering during tight, low speed maneuvers
Fuel door rubs against body panel.
Moon roof leak.
Inadequately painted areas in door frame.
Ringing/rattling noise coming from between cab and cargo bed area.
Difficult or inconsistent starting due to a defective fuel pump.
Premature wear of the ball joints
Transmission 2-3 slipping when shifting
Weak seat belt retraction
suspension noises

Thanks to http://www.mysporttrac.com

My 2001 has every single one of these issues +more but, -the paint issue.. i think.. havent looked.

Is the stock rim 16x7 or 16x7.5? All the sites around don't seem to worry about rim width.

Hello All!! Sorry if this has been covered and I missed it, but I'mtrying to figure if my 2001 is a Job 1 or 2, I know the switch date is 06-24-2000, mine says 06/00???

How do I know what day???

DAN

Have you changed your own oil? Job 1 filter is a FL1A, Job 2 is a FL820.

PM me your VIN and I'll tell you the date yours was produced.

Its been a very long time since I did my own oil, I have no idea which filter I used, or bought!

I"ll send you the VIN, thanx for your help!!

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

June 29, 2000 Job 2

Get your Cruise control recall done. ASAP! Unplug the harness to the switch on the master cylinder until you have it done. FIRE HAZARD !!

Back