'01 4X4 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 4X4 Sport

Scottiem

Reaction score
Trying to get the pro and cons on the '01 Explorer Sport 4X4. MY wife had a '92 Eddie Bauer 4X4 4 door Explorer that was great but she wanted an Expedition so traded it in on that. Now my oldest son is wanting to get an '01 Sport. Haven't really heard any good or bad info on these and figured you'd all be able to let me know.

Thanks
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as mechanics and all that go as compared to previous years, I can't help you. I can tell you that I am extremely happy with my purchase. I have had it for 4 months now, and I love it.

I've had mine for almost a year now and love it everyday.

Ive had mine for two months, and its a great all-around vehicle...Ive done just about anything you could want to with a vehicle. Helps gramps move, took it up the mountain, embarrassed half the local import scene, and drove 1300 miles straight in comfort and style. Not to good on the gas though...

Where is there a mountain in Tucson???

I thought Tucson was just flat like Phoenix, my bad!

Presently have 28,800 miles on my 01 Sport 4X4. No mechanical problems, no trim problems. Has every option available except for leather and moonroof. Took a trip to Clearwater Fla. in the begining of January (death in family) and took a trip to San Antonio Tx. at the end of January (Son graduation from AF basic training). Drove on average of 80 MPH on both trips. Averaged 21-23 MPG with 4 adults and luggage. Couldn't complain about anything. Performed flawlessly the same as my 97 Sport has. Just sold my 97 this past Friday to a good home.

Only problem I see is that a '99 Sport 4x4 looks better... ;)

And I seem to think that the pre 01 Sports have better factory ground clearance than the 01+ Sports. This is just from wheeling and comparing my '99 vs. one of my frat bro's '01 (both stock for now)

I've had mine for about a year know and I haven't had any trouble with it yet (knock on wood). Except for a new cd-player and clear corners mine is stock. (and finally clean of all the road salt)

Pros:

I love the body style.

Cons:

Everyonce in a while I wish I had the extra room of the 4-door. I don't have any kids so I rarely use the back seat, if I did it might get to be a pain getting in and out.

If you want to see a great looking 01 Sport look at Black Magic's.

ive had my 01 sport for 2.5 months. bought it with 22k and put 4 k on so far.
the ride is a little harsh but i dont mind. my g/f complains when i go over bumps n such. she whines too much...
stock with every option except with clear corners and the silencer removed from the airbox.

Originally posted by SiLenZe
my g/f complains when i go over bumps n such. she whines too much...

Trade her in for a newer model :D

Back