01 5.0L AWD stumbles and pings - sometimes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 5.0L AWD stumbles and pings - sometimes

eric256

Reaction score
City, State
Kaneohe, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT AWD
My beloved 2001 AWD 5.0 has developed a stumble. Doesn't feel like a true miss, but it may be.

All started when I had a leaking, spraying, water pump bypass hose. Sprayed water straight up and all over everything. Got that fixed.

I had guessed that some of the wires had gotten wet causing the stumble. It only happens, or seems to happen in 2nd-4th with a moderate load. I don't notice it at all in 1st.

Also - on the first day of this problem there was a lot of pinging, but now that has stopped. Idle is fine.

Now things have dried out and I still have the stumble, sometimes very noticeable, sometimes very slight.

I hope that something just has some antifreeze gunk in it.

157,000 loving miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My beloved 2001 AWD 5.0 has developed a stumble. Doesn't feel like a true miss, but it may be.

All started when I had a leaking, spraying, water pump bypass hose. Sprayed water straight up and all over everything. Got that fixed.

I had guessed that some of the wires had gotten wet causing the stumble. It only happens, or seems to happen in 2nd-4th with a moderate load. I don't notice it at all in 1st.

Also - on the first day of this problem there was a lot of pinging, but now that has stopped. Idle is fine.

Now things have dried out and I still have the stumble, sometimes very noticeable, sometimes very slight.

I hope that something just has some antifreeze gunk in it.

157,000 loving miles.

Spark plug wires.... is one riding on the manifold?
Go to a auto part store and get that tool plugged in. It will inform you of which cylinder is missing a spark.

Spark plug wires.... is one riding on the manifold?
Go to a auto part store and get that tool plugged in. It will inform you of which cylinder is missing a spark.

Will it find the cylinder even if the service light is not on?

My service light does not come on.
Yet, plug the tool in and it responds.
Not the light, the tool.

My service light does not come on.
Yet, plug the tool in and it responds.
Not the light, the tool.

Tried a Craftsman scan tool - no info on misfire. No codes.

In Hawaii - the auto parts stores are not allowed to loan scan tools. That's some aloha for ya.

I'll stop by a shop for a better scan tool and see what it says.

Did you clean up the coil packs? They are right on top. Remove the wires one at a time (so you don't cross them) and clean.

If you have an Android phone, just order from eBay one of the cheap ELM327 clones - they are some $13-20. Then use the app Torque to read codes and more - it has a free version and a paid one ($5).
It might be just a "pending code" or something else that can be read in real time.

I vote plugs and wires. Had this issue years ago on my GF's Grand Cherokee; old wires and gummed up plugs were the culprit.

Alson your MAF could be the culprit, dont rule it out....clean the element with a cue-tip and electronic safe solvent/alcohol. There are youtube vids...dont be scared just be careful, dont push hard be gentle. The reason i doubt its plug wires is because it didnt do it before it got wet and once it drys out it should not continue.

In the end it was a bad u-joint causing the rumbling.

Back