01 and 03 Explorer Sport owner | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

01 and 03 Explorer Sport owner

PLAPELLO

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 & 03 Explorer Sport
Hello all, name is Phil. I have been around these forums for many MANY months and have read a ton of the helpful repair posts in the forums. I had actually thought I already posted a "I am new, look how shiny and clean I am", but I guess not. So here it is. :)

As I mentioned, I am Phil, 36yr old, live in da burbs of Chicago, work as a Inv. Manager, Warehouse Manager, Quality Control, Computer/ Network tech, blah blah for a small Manufacturing company. In my spare time it seems I have picked up a side gig of fixing peoples vehicles and I get to make a little profit on the side. But my main repairs go to my 02 Saturn SL (180,000+ gas saver) and my new baby, 01 Explorer Sport 4x4 V6 (165,000+ gas hoarder). My better half has a 03 Explorer Sport 2wd V6 with just 120,000+.

I have been on here to read up so many things and the people that have added their wisdom, I will be forever grateful. Now, I must admit, I do have a question. I have used the search section a lot today and did not find anything yet. My 01 Explorer runs great, it makes some chirps or squeaks when it idles, but that I can diagnose myself or with past forum posts. What my big issue is......

100% of the SUV the paint is cracked, chipped, coming from under the paint it seems. Does anyone know a post in these forums that lead to questions and answers on this manufacturing defect?

I wonder what was better. Sand the whole thing like crazy, or was it possible to replace everything. I don't even know if you can replace all of the outer body.

thanks !!!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars