• Register Today It's free!

01 AWD towing

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
My 01 XLT is an AWD 5.0. Truck has 135k for miles. Trans has been serviced regularly and fluid looks great. My question is I'm thinking about tow dollying a car from k.c. to chicago and back possibly. It's next week and no doubt going to be really hot. The car in question is a 79 vw scirocco. It maybe weighs 1900 lbs. Like I said, it will just be on a tow dolly(front wheels up, rear wheels rolling). Should I be concerned about my trans doing this? Does my truck have a weak trans in general? Anything you guys can think of I should be aware of? My x is very dependable and I wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize the trans at it's age and mileage. I can't afford to replace it if something happens right now exept with a used one and I really wouldn't want to have to resort to that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would buy a scanguage 2 as it has a very nice transmission temperature function. It also has several other functions to choose from, and displays 4 of these at once.

Also, add a small, 10" pro comp fan with temp switch to the stock transmission cooler. I found they worked fine. You can find them on ebay

If possible, bypass the cooler lines to the radiator as they do not actually cool efficiently.

Pay careful attention to engine RPM's. If you are lugging up a hill and the torque converter will not hold locked in overdrive, hit the "overdrive off" button.

I think if you did these things, you would be in overkill mode and the transmission will serve you very well.

Are you saying that having the trans cooler lines hooked up to the radiator is actually detrimental to cooling the oil? Where is the stock trans cooler? I've only seen a pwr steering cooler mounted under the radiator. Do these trannys typically run hot in hot climates to warrant a fan when not normally towing. I guess I just want toknow if this is just a good idea in general to make my trans last as long as necessary.

Yes, if the coolant temp is 190 degrees then it is warming fluid which might be cooler. Most people do not realize the transmission fluid actually is circulated through the radiator to warm it.

Before I bypassed mine I would see 180 degree trans temps while idling on a hot day.
You could install a "T"valve on the 2 lines with a line running between them. This way you would be able to turn it back on for winter use.

The trans cooler should be located slightly to the passenger side right up front behind the grill.

Do you have yours bypassed year round? Any problem with that in the winter? I like the idea of a fan on the cooler.

Back