01 Explorer Sport 1 tons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Sport 1 tons

I started out with a 01 explorer sport with 230k miles and now i have a 2001 frame with axles out of a late 80 f350 2003 body with 90k on it with stock drivetrain (for now). My plan is to either build the drivetrain i have now (4.0 sohc with a 5rod) or go to an lq4 engine and then 4 link it front and rear with coil overs within the next year or two. I will try to list all the parts i used but i know i will miss some so if there are any questions please ask. The swap has been one for about 8 months and i have put about 15,000 miles on it without a hiccup. No sway bars, trac bars or even a steering stabilizer (plan on doing a stabilizer before winter). This is my winter vehicle (for now) so i have my car i daily and drive my exploder on weekends or when it rains. I am very impressed with it, i have beaten the living day lights out of it from going up rock piles to jumping it a good 15 ft (distance). I love it, no one knows what to think of it and it blows their mind when i tell them that its on one tons. My budget for this build was extremely low. With the cost of buying my original explorer and then another explorer for the body so i now have a spare frame and drivetrain then with all the axles and parts i am maybe looking at $5000. I have big plans for it and will try to keep this post updated .
Dana 60
Sterling 10.25 (4.10)
astro van steering box
4" lift chevy 47" springs out of a square body chevy
The rest i pretty much made my self, it made everything much easier having a plasma cutter and a lift to use. It took me about 2 months to do from start to finish (even though it will never be finished).

Heres some pictures, i have a few more of some mounts and shock mounts etc. if there is interest.

Attachments

• image22.jpeg
    image22.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 721
  • image16.jpeg
    image16.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 625
  • image10-2.jpeg
    image10-2.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 618
  • image15.jpg
    image15.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 698
  • image23.jpeg
    image23.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 603
  • image21.jpeg
    image21.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 618

And if someone could help me out with right siding my pictures that would be great

Nice build. Gonna have to check it on the computer when I get home since the pictures are tiny in the forum app on my phone.

Attachments

• image10-2.jpeg
    image10-2.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 552
  • image21.jpeg
    image21.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 561
  • image22.jpeg
    image22.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 581
  • image23.jpeg
    image23.jpeg