01 Explorer Sport Brake Pedal Position Switch wiring schematic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Sport Brake Pedal Position Switch wiring schematic

FLSnake

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Anyone have a wiring schematic for the Brake Pedal Position Switch?

I specifically need to know where the Red wire with Green stripe goes?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the EVTM at home for the '01 sport. If no one posts it before I get home tonight, I'll let you know then.

Anyone have a wiring schematic for the Brake Pedal Position Switch?

I specifically need to know where the Red wire with Green stripe goes?

Thanks

Brn goes to fuse panel, black goes to ground, rd/grn goes to ABS module.

See below for accesss to wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco

Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams

well, if you unplug it and things are OK... then the wiring from the switch to the plug is OK. It then follows that the problem is from the plug to the actual module.... ASSUMING that you have looked very carefully at the plug to ensure that the pins align properly when plugging in. Further, take a meter and measure the resistance on the module "inputs" to see what the wiring is looking at. Lastly, check ALL your fuses... I know you did but humor me. You may have a fuse gone somewhere else that is causing something "to steal power".

Of course, lastly, as part of your testing, you tested your shift interlock "switch" electrically (resistance).

well, if you unplug it and things are OK... then the wiring from the switch to the plug is OK. It then follows that the problem is from the plug to the actual module.... ASSUMING that you have looked very carefully at the plug to ensure that the pins align properly when plugging in. Further, take a meter and measure the resistance on the module "inputs" to see what the wiring is looking at. Lastly, check ALL your fuses... I know you did but humor me. You may have a fuse gone somewhere else that is causing something "to steal power".

Of course, lastly, as part of your testing, you tested your shift interlock "switch" electrically (resistance).

I may not have, where is the shift interlock located?

I probably can't help there as I only have 96 stuff which says "steering column"... :)... :-( Basically, my guess is that you have a greater draw than the fuse because one of the components has an "marginal issue". My guess, and it truly is a guess, is that its the steering lock.... marginal "solenoid" (I think its solid state though) maybe.... but again just a guess based on no experience... just a read of schematics and "block diagrams".... :)

I probably can't help there as I only have 96 stuff which says "steering column"... :)... :-( Basically, my guess is that you have a greater draw than the fuse because one of the components has an "marginal issue". My guess, and it truly is a guess, is that its the steering lock.... marginal "solenoid" (I think its solid state though) maybe.... but again just a guess based on no experience... just a read of schematics and "block diagrams".... :)

No Problem, I do appreciate your input very much.

That Red/Green wire coming off the Brake Pedal Position Switch has a dead short to ground which I assume is why it is poping the fuse as soon as I hit the brake pedal. I found a Red/Green wire on the ABS Control module and it doesn't have a dead short to ground. I'm wondering if the wire goes from the brake pedal position switch to the shift interlock then to the ABS module, or directly to the ABS module.
That site you provided for the wiring diagrams seems to be down right now, I can get logged in ok but when I try to pull up a wiring diagram it times out.

Thanks

could be... but if you unplugged a connector right at the ABS module and everything is "fine", then it follows that the wiring from the switch thru whatever all the way to that connector is fine... as in no "grounding" along the way. BUT, when you say "dead short", how did you determine that??? The reason I asked IF you do some "simple math", the fuse was a 7.5 amp... so let's round that to 10 just for "argument", then a 12 volt circuit would be looking at something around 1 ohm... pretty small and unless your meter has been properly "calibrated", you might see it as a "short" when it might not actually be a "short".
Anyways, iirc, the circuit is "paralleled" with the interlock.

Here's what the EVTM shows.

Early production:

The Red/Light Green wire goes to-
-4wd control module.
-brake shift interlock.
-ABS control module.
-Speed control servo. (Tan/Light Blue after connector S117)
-Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module. (only used on vehicles with anti-theft. DUH.)
-PCM.

The only differences on the Late Production:

-Goes to the Clutch Pedal Position Switch on manual trans.
-turns to Tan/ Light blue at connector S227 instead of S117.
-RAP module is called Central Security Module.

No Problem, I do appreciate your input very much.

That Red/Green wire coming off the Brake Pedal Position Switch has a dead short to ground which I assume is why it is poping the fuse as soon as I hit the brake pedal. I found a Red/Green wire on the ABS Control module and it doesn't have a dead short to ground. I'm wondering if the wire goes from the brake pedal position switch to the shift interlock then to the ABS module, or directly to the ABS module.
That site you provided for the wiring diagrams seems to be down right now, I can get logged in ok but when I try to pull up a wiring diagram it times out.

Thanks

The wiring diagram showed the rd/grn wire going from the position switch directly to the ABS module. However, I don't remember if there was another rd/grn wire leaving the ABS module to go somewhere else - just didn't look that close. Also, if the rd/grn wire is broken between the two componets only one side of the break could be shorted. Try upplugging both connectors and measuring for continuity between the rd/grn on the ABS and the rd/grn on the position switch. I couldn't get into the wiring diagram just now either - first time that I can remember that happening.

The wiring diagram showed the rd/grn wire going from the position switch directly to the ABS module. However, I don't remember if there was another rd/grn wire leaving the ABS module to go somewhere else - just didn't look that close. Also, if the rd/grn wire is broken between the two componets only one side of the break could be shorted. Try upplugging both connectors and measuring for continuity between the rd/grn on the ABS and the rd/grn on the position switch. I couldn't get into the wiring diagram just now either - first time that I can remember that happening.

It only shows that wire grounded when the ABS connector is plugged in to the ABS module at the pump, if I unplug it then no short, would assume short in module but I have already replaced it.

It only shows that wire grounded when the ABS connector is plugged in to the ABS module at the pump, if I unplug it then no short, would assume short in module but I have already replaced it.

The wire locations I told you are straight from the Ford EVTM (Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) for an '01 Sport. Its the official wiring diagram straight from Ford, printed by Ford, for the Ford dealerships. There is more to that circuit then just the ABS module. I would start checking the other components I listed and the related wiring.

The wire locations I told you are straight from the Ford EVTM (Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) for an '01 Sport. Its the official wiring diagram straight from Ford, printed by Ford, for the Ford dealerships. There is more to that circuit then just the ABS module. I would start checking the other components I listed and the related wiring.

Does anyone know of another site I can get access to wiring diagrams?

There is a solid Green wire on the ABS controller connector that also shows being shorted to ground, trying to determine where that wire goes?

my guess is that it is the ground going to turn on your abs light.

my guess is that it is the ground going to turn on your abs light.

You are correct.

I am at my wits end with this one, I have eliminated the Brake Pedal Position Switch, the Shift Interlock, and the ABS Module itself by replacing them.
The Red/Green wire shows no connection to ground until I plug in the ABS module connector either with Old ABS Module or New one, I have taken the actual connector apart to make sure there wasn't some sort of bad connector inside but it checks out fine also. I have continuity of that wire between the ABS module and the Brake Pedal Position Switch and the shift Interlock. I pulled the front of the dash apart to have better access to the wiring and could find no exposed bare wires anywhere.

I did however discover that it has an aftermarket alarm installed, I disconnected it, traced back all of the wire taps that were created to install it and everything checks out good, the only thing I can't seem to locate is the RAP module, on the 4 door explorers it is usually in the Left Rear Wheel Well, it is not there on this one, anyone know where it is located on an 01 2 Door Sport Model? Is has factory remote keyless entry and the door pad entry.

Ok UPDATE!

The RAP module on an 01 2 door sport is behind the Passanger Airbag.

I found the Red/Green wire going to the RAP module also, with everything plugged in, ABS module, Brake Pedal Position Switch, ect, it also tests to be grounded, if I disconnect the ABS module it still shows to be grounded unlike the BPP switch whee the ground clears when I disconnect the ABS module, when I unplug the BPP Switch the ground is eliminated at the RAP module???

With RAP module unplugged and ABS module plugged in it still shows the Red/Green wire at BPP switch grounded.

Back