01 Explorer Sport - engine randomly stalled and now won't run right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Sport - engine randomly stalled and now won't run right

Dudeth

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Yesterday my lady's 2001 Explorer Sport with a 4.0 SOHC was running like a top and then suddenly after sitting parked for a couple hours it would crank but not start. After letting it sit for an hour or so it cranked and seemed to run ok. She drove a mile or so and it died at a stop light. It wouldn't start for a few minutes and then finally started but in limp mode. The engine was shaking and barely able to idle so she pulled into a parking spot and I came and checked it out and we had to have it towed home. This problem is just out of the blue suddenly with no warning.

Today I was able to get it to start but it shook really badly and was running like it possibly wasn't getting the right air/fuel mixture. There is no check engine light on. At one point today I realized that once it started and was idling horribly and shaking I could press the gas pedal just slightly and hold it there and the rpms would slowly go up and then the engine would smooth out. If I slowly gave it gas I could get the engine up to 3000 rpms and then it would hesitate and drop the rpms back down to 2500. If I try to rev the engine quickly it acts like the engine is flooding or starving and chokes and stalls.

It has 111k miles on it. She has only owned it for 6 months but it has ran flawlessly to this point, other than one random time that it just died at a stop light shortly after she got it.

I'm not familiar with these 4.0L SOHC engines and I'm not really sure where to start. The coolant was low, maybe 1/2 - 2/3 full in the radiator but she said that it did not overheat and she pays attention to her temperature gauge because she's had overheating issues in other vehicles in the past. This coolant has to be going somewhere. Hopefully it's not an intake or head gasket issue. We have not noticed any leaks and the oil was just changed last week and there is no coolant in the oil. The engine doesn't smoke at all either.

Maybe I need to buy a OBD scanner and check the air/fuel mixtures? I recently ordered a cheap ODBII bluetooth dongle for my android phone but the piece of junk only worked once so I have to order a different one. My girlfriend has to work in 2 days and I need to get this figured out ASAP.

Any help is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't procede much further without testing the fuel pressure. Lots of folks are under the impression that a fuel pump works or it doesn't. Though there is some truth to that, I tend to say it works properly or it doesn't. Especially with these 4.0 fuel systems, an engine can run without the proper fuel pressure...they just run like crap. Every factory Ford pump I have changed in a Ranger or Explorer has been between 100,000 and 125,000 miles. Most of them just after 110,000. My '95 was doing the same thing with exception to yours being SOHC, mine is a OHV 4.0. There may be some opposition to this, but I would recomend that you do NOT waste your time buying an Airtex fuel pump. I have never had pssitive results with on and will only install the house brand from O'Reilly. I want to say the name is Precision.

I wouldn't procede much further without testing the fuel pressure. Lots of folks are under the impression that a fuel pump works or it doesn't. Though there is some truth to that, I tend to say it works properly or it doesn't. Especially with these 4.0 fuel systems, an engine can run without the proper fuel pressure...they just run like crap. Every factory Ford pump I have changed in a Ranger or Explorer has been between 100,000 and 125,000 miles. Most of them just after 110,000. My '95 was doing the same thing with exception to yours being SOHC, mine is a OHV 4.0. There may be some opposition to this, but I would recomend that you do NOT waste your time buying an Airtex fuel pump. I have never had pssitive results with on and will only install the house brand from O'Reilly. I want to say the name is Precision.

Thank you, I was leaning toward a fuel delivery issue on this as well. It almost seems like the fuel filter is clogged based on my past experience with fuel filter issues. Unfortunately I don't have fuel pressure gauges so I will try to find a mobile mechanic that does. Or is that something that will be reported with a OBDII tool?

Thank you, I was leaning toward a fuel delivery issue on this as well. It almost seems like the fuel filter is clogged based on my past experience with fuel filter issues. Unfortunately I don't have fuel pressure gauges so I will try to find a mobile mechanic that does. Or is that something that will be reported with a OBDII tool?

Lack of fuel delivery is not going to show up on a scan tool...Lean banks 1 &2 will show up however...If you have a tire pressure gauge and you can get enough clearance around the schrader valve use it to test the fuel pressure...If the fuel filter has not been changed since purchase of the truck change it now...I would be willing to bet it is the source of the issues this Sport has...

And BTW the fuel pressure should be 65-72 psi...

Thanks a lot for the input. Turns out it was the fuel pump after doing a fuel pressure test. Replaced it and the issue was resolved. Harbor Freight has a fuel pressure gauge set for about $20 if anyone needs that.

Jester you were right on ! :)

Back