01 explorer sport LS swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 explorer sport LS swap

just started this project tuesday, so dont expect anything crazy yet.

i picked up an 01 explorer sport with no motor, no trans on sunday. then tuesday night we picked up a pretty bare lm7 to use for mock up. it has headers, and complete intake to pan. but no accessories or wiring.

plan for this build is a stock 5.3, with a built 4l80, and engine bay space will dictate if its twin or single turbo.
power wise, i'm going to start at 600, have some fun with it, then push harder and harder until i find the limit the engine will take with this setup. the second motor will be put in, and i'll run a little bit less boost.

bringing it home
169-6BDA3D435225-1860-00000245871EBE09_zps06c4ee4a.jpg

threw slicks and skinnies on it for a little inspiration lol :)

B05-3AD7888185BE-1860-000002458EF8E4CE_zpsb56cb460.jpg

cheap motor

678-B0791F92122A-1860-000002459473B457_zps695ec1e4.jpg

motor sits in there nicely

0E5-01CD6B5A3A9A-1860-000002459759F4E6_zps6e8497fe.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting...have to ask though, why the 5.3 swap instead of the simpler 5.0 swap?

Because I want it to be scary fast. And I don't see that happening easily with the 5.0. The 5.3s have been tested at over 1000fwhp before failure. That should easily let me push to 750-800rwhp on a bone stock junkyard engine.

Hmmm a chev motor in a Ford. Interesting build though. So are you going to use a stand alone ECU? What trans? Then a custom driveshaft to the 8.8? I assume its 2wd. is it limited slip? Sorry for all the questions.

The 4l80 I mentioned in the post is the trans. Is a medium duty truck trans. Cars and trucks that came with the LS motors normally come with a 4L60e. I'm going with the 4L80e because for the power level I want, I feel it won't be something to worry about. The 60s can be built to take 700-800whp but it's not IF they break, it's WHEN.

The wiring and computer will all be from a Chevy truck. With the exception of the body controls and such. The worst part of the wiring will be getting the ford cluster to work.

I got the explorer as a 4x4, but the front diff and driveshafts are already out. Not sure if I need to change the hubs out to 2wd, but that's a minor concern right now. I was trying to find a 2wd sport, but I couldn't find one that was the right body style. The 01-03 sports are the body I like. And this truck was perfect for this build, engine, trans and transfer case were already out, and it was only $350.

Not sure about the rear yet. I have to get under there and read the tag to see what gears and if its LS or open.

For safety sake you will need to convert to 2wd spindles and hubs, as the cv axle-spindle nut are what hold the 4wd front wheel bearings together. The bearing will fail.

For safety sake you will need to convert to 2wd spindles and hubs, as the cv axle-spindle nut are what hold the 4wd front wheel bearings together. The bearing will fail.

thank you.

thats what i was leaning towards. on other cars i've through bolted the bearing just for rolling cars around with no motor. i'll do that for now until i'm actually ready to start driving the car.

Wow... Very cool. I need to find someone with mad skills near me to learn leet mechanical skills from so one day I can do crazy cool builds, haha :D Good luck!

Didn't receive emails for the thread. But I like your ideas, some wont since its GM in Ford but its all about being different and doing what makes you happy. That truck will be a beast when its done, I like the 5.3 in my pickup, first automatic I ever had that would spin the tires in first and second stock with an L/S. I'll be watching your progress.

If I may ask a few questions, how much did you pick the explorer up for? Do you think a 400 small block would fit in the engine bay? Last, I know its probably long ways down the road but what are you going to do for an exhaust setup?

In post 5 he said he bought it for 350 with no trans and no engine

Nice project, I prefer the 01-03 Sport body style also to the previous years. 350.00 sounds like a bargain, personally black is my favorite color on any vehicle, subscribing to this thread.

Progress report?

Back