01 Ranger 4.0 SOHC - No Power - even after timing chain replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Ranger 4.0 SOHC - No Power - even after timing chain replacement

jim210

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger 4.0
Have a Ranger with 4.0 and 75,000 miles.

Suddenly lost power while driving. Could barely get up even the slightest grade. No codes. No engine light. Had a strong rattle noise and very low compression readings - less than 50 psi. From these forums learned that this was likely a timing chain issue.

Pulled the engine, bought the special tools, pulled the heads, found a broken right side cassette, had a machine shop replace the bent valves.

Very carefully followed the shop manual and these forums while I replaced both cassettes and the front timing chain and tensioner. Did a differential compression test on the stand and everything looked good.

Put the engine back in, fired it up and it still had no power. Again no codes. No engine light.

Checked fuel pressure. That is in spec. Checked coil output - all good.

Only abnormal indications is that a conventional compression gauge shows 150 psi on Cylinders 4 & 5 while cylinders 1&2 show only 100 psi at idle. Just to make things more interesting, a differential compression test on 1&2 looks very good 48 out of 50 psi.

Is there anyone out there with any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum,
i moved this thread to the under the hood section so it would get attention from the members that frequent the motor forum,,

Thanks for moving it. I am still new at this.

Jim

it's all good, maybe check out the threads in the this forum, one may hold an answer for you,

when you put the motor back in, did you make sure that you spun it the correct way when you did the converter bolts? if you turn it against its firing order, you may have put the motor out of time. ask me how i know.....

Was very careful to avoid rotation on install.

Also in the calmness of a new morning, rechecked the compressions. They are all between 145 and 155 psi, so I am starting to look beyond valve timing.

Fuel pressure is good. Ignition spark is good. Beginning to look at the computer as the source of the problem.

Anybody have any other ideas.

Thanks

Found the problem

Continued to check everything.

Pulled the EGR valve to check it. Looked good. On a hunch, disconnected the EGR manifold line and tried to start the engine. Started and ran much better. More important there was substantial exhaust pressure coming from the EGR line.

Pulled the exhaust Y pipe, started the engine, and it ran like a charm. Pulled the rest of the exhaust system. Found that the driver side converter had disintegrated, probably from the effects of the timing problem. The debris then plugged the two converters downstream. There was still what seemed like a pretty good volume of exhaust coming out the pipe, but obviously it was not enough. Replaced all the converters and the truck now runs like new.

Back