'01 Sport 2-Door Version 4x4 Weird Electric/Electronic Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 Sport 2-Door Version 4x4 Weird Electric/Electronic Issues

Y2K Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Behind the Wheel/On-Da-Road
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explr Sport 2-Door 4x4
Truck Info:
2001 Explorer Sport 2-Door Version
4x4
Stock
100K+ miles
Not the orginal owner/little-to-no history
All headlights/signals/brake-lights operate
Overdrive button functions & dash lights up normally
All dash lights function at start-up & when "running"

So I have been searching all over because I'm have electric/electronic issues and list them individually:

1- The 4x2/4x4 selector switch won't shift the truck back & forth from 4x2 to 4x4 and back. Also at night, the glow/illumination does not light up above the switch.
I do not see the light in the dash changing [from 4x2 to 4x4] when operating the selector switch.

2- The rear wiper won't operate but when you push the button in, the fluid motor operates. Again at night no illumination above this switch.

3- The OEM CD player quit working all together [No FM No CD] but will illuminate when I turn on the headlights. When you disconnect the deck from the wire harness' and plug them both in, the CD motor operates like normal- as if either ejecting or cycling "searching" for a disk then stops.

4- The overhead counsel lights do not operate at all but I tried installing LEDs but found the copper strips are worn & probably broken inside the plastic tape. Guessing this will need the entire overhead assembly replaced. I do get the temp display & changes as operate the light switch.

I went thru ALL the fuses [under the hood & driver panel], found a couple of the tiny ones "burnt" out. So replaced them.

Reading into this issue, the GEM module may be the culprit [In the dash on the left-hand side next the OE radio]. Okay, thinking simple enough, but my specific one is discontinued & ZERO luck on eBay. FYI- sticker # YL2Z-14B205-BA
But at the bottom of the sticker, it says 4x2!!!

Does this mean someone at some point replaced the GEM module with the wrong one?

I found these based on my eBay search:

XL2Z-14B205-BB
XL2T-14B205-CD
XL2T-14B205-CC
XL2T-14B205-CB

Being the one in my Explorer is discontinued, do I chance it & try one of these GEM modules but the ones with the "4x4" labeled at the bottom???

Based on the eBay pics, these are the exact shell with exact same connection & mounting points too. But different part #'s & each of the individual listing/seller all state theirs came out of 2001 Ford Explorer...."And Tested" with the donor vehicle....

Y2K Explorer,

Sounds like someone before you had the GEM module fail, and needed a replacement in an emergency.

It got the Ex going, but as you've discovered 4X4 doesn't work.

For all we know, the previous owner might not have even realized this.

I Googled the Part Number of the GEM that you currently have, as well as the other 4 you listed, and am seeing what you are seeing.

I also checked the part numbers using Google Image to see the actual GEMs being offered, and see only the most basic of descriptions being written on the bar code tag.

Thinking out loud, what I'd suggest (before throwing money at the problem) is finding a really cool parts counter person at a FORD dealership, providing him with your VIN number, and asking him what GEM module is correct for your vehicle. Bring the list of 4 part numbers with you and see if any match. Of course a junkyard GEM will be a LOT less than a FORD dealership.

If you don't have the time to visit a dealership, try going to Ebay, and messaging a FORD Dealership - like TASCA Ford - and ask/see what they come up with.

LINK: TascaParts.com | Factory OEM Auto Parts & Accessories

Just guessing out loud - the 4 part numbers/options you are coming up with for a Year 2001 probably are:

* 4X2 with Automatic
* 4X2 with 5 speed Manual
* 4x4 with Automatic
* 4X4 with 5 speed Manual

Once you work out this problem first, the other problems should be easy for you to fix...

Hope that helps and report back!

BTW - The 4X4 switch has a light bulb that is separate from the switch itself - so you're looking at just a bulb replacement. Slide the radio out and you'll see/feel the bulb.

I was just going to risk/spend $ on a used one off eBay.... thinking of trying XL2T-14B205-CC even though mine is the 2-door version....

I tried Tasca but the guy on the phone wouldn't help me other than price & availability only

I was just going to risk/spend $ on a used one off eBay.... thinking of trying XL2T-14B205-CC even though mine is the 2-door version....

I tried Tasca but the guy on the phone wouldn't help me other than price & availability only

OK - what you're looking for is a total pain in the butt to a parts guy. It's not nutz and boltz. It requires a lil' research on their part, and a lil' prodding on your part. It's an vehicle/trim/drivetrain specific electrical part fora 20 year old Explorer.

With that said, check it out - there's more than TASCA that sells NEW OLD STOCK (NOS) FORD parts on Ebay - I was just using them as an example. They're HUGE and I'd say try again with a written message to them via Ebay. Chances are they have a good parts guy that when given some time to research can hit your goal.

As I said, what you're looking for takes some research on the sellers end. You yourself realize this - look at the amount of time you're putting into it.

Your search for the correct part should be as simple as sending out a few Ebay Messages so the parts guy at the other end has some reasonable time to research your request (as opposed to a phone call where a parts guy is overwhelmed with his daily work - let alone your special request - and will more than likely take 1 minute with you before saying "sorry dude"). So to reiterate, send them a message with your VIN NUMBER and see who answers you.

Here's a few FORD Dealers who sell parts on EBAY that I've had good communications with.

Ford Genuine Auto Parts: fordgenuineautoparts on eBay

Sunrise Ford Parts: sunrisefordparts on eBay

Also, you can always use your local FORD parts department to JUST drop your VIN Number past them, and ask what comes back.

You can always give FORD's OFFICIAL PARTS SITE a shot; FordParts.Com They have a VIN NUMBER search for parts and maybe that will pan out.

Now, if you decide to just throw some money at the problem and see what sticks, I'd advise you research the return policy with whomever you buy a used GEM off of on Ebay. Some guys are cool with trying out parts like this, others say you buy it, you own it. As you see, these used parts aren't cheap ;-)

Regardless on what route you take, good luck & Merry Christmas - let us know how it shakes out!

Back