01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete) | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 sport - 4.0 SOHC STS turbo charged (Project complete)

4.0 SOHC turbo charger project

Guys - I'm done....well, almost (you know how that goes)

I've drove the truck around today very safely and all I can say is wow...I love this and I'm very glad I did it. I'll have to say I went thru a lot to get this far and lost a few buddies along the way. :(

I'm gonna try like heck to get you guys some videos soon but right now I need to chill cuss my wife is pissed. I've been working on this truck when I should be working on the house, but oh well. blah blah blah.

I've got the boost at around 5 LBS and that's where it's gonna stay until I can get the MAF, injectors, and fuel pump in. Oh yeah, I'm running the 73MM C&L housing and stock injectors and pump. Anyways, I'll be changing those out and tuning the thing out pretty soon - I can then take her to the track and see what happens.....

This is what I've been wanting for two years now so I'm a little excited that it's here now. Not trying to make a drama thread here but I'm happy to join James in the STS 4.0 SOHC circle. Now let me see if I can out run him? :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second run.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Third run. I'm on the right again. Redlighted this run....

The first timeslip showed up. My 60' is close to yours, but then you just leave me standing:) You have me beat by 1 second and 11mph in the 1/8:( Your ex moves out!!!!

You'll get their. Heck, you're the fasted N/A without a cam or engine internals.

Wait to you see the video. I guess my bud isn't sending it tonight so look for it in the morning sometime.

Yes, I need to work on the 60' time. I want to get it to around 1.8 or so. THe guys at the track think I have a low 13 second truck just as is. A few of my buds wanted me to turn up the boost so I figured it was time to leave before I gave in.

How did you leave the line? Did you break boost or just mash it from idle? I think your times will drop some more when you get the lightweight wheel and tires on plus use your meth. I know you have a low 13 second ride under the right conditions.

I don't know if you checked out my link I sent you about my new rims, but I weighted them vs the stockers and they are almost 6lbs lighter each! I am watching the end of Chronicles of Riddick and if my GF doesn't show up soon, I am taking the Ex out for a spin. I have a damn dryer in the back that I am taking to my brothers on sunday so I can't do any cornering test:mad:

For sure break boost off the line with a turbo. THe only thing I wanted to do but didn't was to leave at around 2500 RPM's.

IF you notice, I was gaining each time I ran. The reason why was because I was leaving the line with more RPM's on the next run. First run was 2000; second was a little over that; the third was more but I didn't get a chance to see for sure what the RPM was.

Yeah, those new rims look good!

Excellent Jake, those are very nice times. That's great to start with for any future plans.

You are only a few tenths behind me! I better get my 12 second slip soon for some breathing room.

Mounty - So close yet so far away. I've done some tuning changes and I'm trying to decide on going with meth next or just keep it like it is and get the hang of driving. I think I can get it to the low 13's next time if I stay for the night runs.

Tuning changes - I was running a WOT fuel ratio of 11.3 just to keep it safe - I didn't feel like walking home. I've bumped that up to 11.5 and added one more degree of timing above .8 load and adjusted the knock sensor some more. If you notice on the video second to third happens pretty fast. I've bumped the third gear shift point up a couple more MPH in an attempt to not bog down at the end cuss I have the torque convertor locked at this point.

But honestly, the 60 foot is where I should be concerned and you definitly have me there.

Here's some more pics we took at the track

340.JPG

341.JPG

342.JPG

Go with the methanol injection. It will drop intake temps by 60-80 degrees and increase the octane! Every pound of boost adds 10+ degrees to ambient air. Cooler intake temps have a higher air mass.

Full drag race suspension

004-7.jpg

005-5.jpg
Here's my buddies car. (the guy that took the videos)

I like those black hoses. Do people know how much those cost(more than SS)?

The black hoses are a little more I think - Pro classic by russell. The good thing is they weigh less which makes a small difference if you have to run long lines back to an STS oil pump.

The black hoses are a little more I think - Pro classic by russell. The good thing is they weigh less which makes a small difference if you have to run long lines back to an STS oil pump.

Nice, I haven't bought any lines yet, but I was eying them very hard about two months ago. They still shouldn't cost more than SS lines, it's funny.

There not much more and my memory may of failed me here. You could check jegs and see but I'm thinking there just a tad more. Maybe it's because of the demand? Usually things with low demand are a little higher. Stainless lines are made by the boku so manufacturing is cheaper.

By the way, here's a pic of the wheels I just got.

FR500's.jpg

The first race was against an older mustang; I believe a 66 - 69...somewhere in that neighborhood. I'll hopefully be running that soon.

How do you like the wheels now that you've had them for a few days? I like that style and several others. I think if they could be had with thicker/wider spikes that they would look better. It's hard to find something different when they keep making the same "hip" styles. I like the Cobra "R" wheels except that the spokes are too thin, for me. Wheels are really tough to choose, there are so many and so many are alike.

Back