• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

'01 Sport exterior trim

jabert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
I just picked up an '01 Sport in great shape, mechanically, but the exterior could use some touch-up. Does anyone know the paint code for the gray exterior trim? - running boards, etc. It's not on the door panel, and even the dealership couldn't offer any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ScottRT

Reaction score
City, State
San Ramon, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I don't thinks is a painted finish. It looks like grey plastic to me... solid molded color.

Scott T.

jabert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
Thanks for the reply, Scott. The trim and bumper are molded plastic, but the running boards/step bars are painted metal. I'm looking for the color code for that. I should have been more clear.
JA

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
ATU 5016
medium charcoal

i got mine at autozone ,its a rustoleum product.matches the gray plastic parts to the tee on my 2000 sport.
i used a few cans to redo my step bumpers .
on that note the rust did start showing thru again a few months later .
i grinded off all the rust i could ,used 3 coats of gray primer first then 2 top coats of paint .looked great for awhile .

jabert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
Thanks! I used that same paint on my '99 Sport and it was a perfect match, but the color of the trim changed on the 2001 model. It's a lighter gray.
JA

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
ah ok i thought it be the same .lighter you say>?if anything i thought the later years be a little darker on the trim .

well good luck .

jabert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
Yeah, the new trim color was lighter in 2001. The 2-door Sport was phased out and the Sport Trac was introduced. Same drive train, but two rear doors and a pick-up bed were added.

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
the 2 door sport was available up until 2003 which was the last year .i would love to get a mint 03 but the overhead cam engine just scares me .
really wish they would have put a small v-8 in the sport .

jabert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
I never quite understood why the Trac became the preferred vehicle and production of the 2-door model stopped (in '03, as you said). For my purposes, the enclosed area behind the rear seat is more useful than a pick-up bed. I have a truck for that!

joe doe

Reaction score
City, State
slatington,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ex sport 4.0 ohv
agreed!!

and it just never looked quite right to me .oh well they ruined a good thing ,what else is new .:mad:

jabert

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
I suppose, if you were looking for one vehicle that fit all needs, the Sport Trac was it. It was a small SUV combined with a small truck. Just wasn't enough of one or the other, for me . . . and I agree it just didn't look right. Somewhat like a dragonfly . . . all the body and important parts on the front, with this weird appendage stuck on the rear!

And that short bed, even with all the available covers and tie-downs and the rest, was useless to me.
JA