• Register Today It's free!

'01 Sport exterior trim

jabert

Reaction score
City, State
georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 and '01 Sports
I just picked up an '01 Sport in great shape, mechanically, but the exterior could use some touch-up. Does anyone know the paint code for the gray exterior trim? - running boards, etc. It's not on the door panel, and even the dealership couldn't offer any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't thinks is a painted finish. It looks like grey plastic to me... solid molded color.

Scott T.

Thanks for the reply, Scott. The trim and bumper are molded plastic, but the running boards/step bars are painted metal. I'm looking for the color code for that. I should have been more clear.
JA

ATU 5016
medium charcoal

i got mine at autozone ,its a rustoleum product.matches the gray plastic parts to the tee on my 2000 sport.
i used a few cans to redo my step bumpers .
on that note the rust did start showing thru again a few months later .
i grinded off all the rust i could ,used 3 coats of gray primer first then 2 top coats of paint .looked great for awhile .

Thanks! I used that same paint on my '99 Sport and it was a perfect match, but the color of the trim changed on the 2001 model. It's a lighter gray.
JA

ah ok i thought it be the same .lighter you say>?if anything i thought the later years be a little darker on the trim .

well good luck .

Yeah, the new trim color was lighter in 2001. The 2-door Sport was phased out and the Sport Trac was introduced. Same drive train, but two rear doors and a pick-up bed were added.

the 2 door sport was available up until 2003 which was the last year .i would love to get a mint 03 but the overhead cam engine just scares me .
really wish they would have put a small v-8 in the sport .

I never quite understood why the Trac became the preferred vehicle and production of the 2-door model stopped (in '03, as you said). For my purposes, the enclosed area behind the rear seat is more useful than a pick-up bed. I have a truck for that!

agreed!!

and it just never looked quite right to me .oh well they ruined a good thing ,what else is new .:mad:

I suppose, if you were looking for one vehicle that fit all needs, the Sport Trac was it. It was a small SUV combined with a small truck. Just wasn't enough of one or the other, for me . . . and I agree it just didn't look right. Somewhat like a dragonfly . . . all the body and important parts on the front, with this weird appendage stuck on the rear!

And that short bed, even with all the available covers and tie-downs and the rest, was useless to me.
JA

Back