'01 Sport leather seats into '99 sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 Sport leather seats into '99 sport?

crashwave

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson NJ/Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Hey everyone....

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to install 2001 Sport leather seats into my 1999 Sport. I have a regular cloth interior and this would be a substantial upgrade.

What I'm wondering is: how difficult would the install be? Is it possible? Would the new seats fit into the existing tracks? Or would I have to somehow get 2001 sport seat tracks?

Any help and feedback would be tremendously appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should bolt right in. The only difference might be the electrical connectors and wiring.

Originally posted by Alec
They should bolt right in. The only difference might be the electrical connectors and wiring.

What would be involved with the wiring/electrics and how much would it cost?

Also, anyone have a safe number that it would cost to install these seats, or is it easy enough to do yourself with some help? When you say "bolt in" - how easy is it?

Finally - thanks a LOT for your help and feedback! I really appreciate it.

Just try to do it yourself. You should only need some screwdrivers and a ratchet set. As for the wiring, figure that out once you have the seats in, it's nothing that would take you more than an hour to fix.

Originally posted by Alec
Just try to do it yourself. You should only need some screwdrivers and a ratchet set. As for the wiring, figure that out once you have the seats in, it's nothing that would take you more than an hour to fix.

It's that easy? Hmm...any other words of advice?

It can't be that hard. They should bolt right up. Then all you have to do is the wiring. I would get a print out of the wiring diagram for both years before I start, that way you have something to go by. There is a good chance it hasn't changed since all the seat should need is a hot wire. All the wiring for the functions of the seat should be self contained, and the seat frame is already grounded.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
It can't be that hard. They should bolt right up. Then all you have to do is the wiring. I would get a print out of the wiring diagram for both years before I start, that way you have something to go by. There is a good chance it hasn't changed since all the seat should need is a hot wire. All the wiring for the functions of the seat should be self contained, and the seat frame is already grounded.

Know where I can get a wiring diagram for both years? Should I call up a Ford dealer?

You can get stuff like that in a chiltons. I put 01 guages in my truck and they were good. i tend to think the seats should be fine, no sweat

I doubt you will find a wiring diagram for the seats in a chiltons or haynes manual. You may have to go to a service center and ask. Then have fun explaining to them why you need them:D

I doubt you will find a wiring diagram for the seats in a chiltons or haynes manual. You may have to go to a service center and ask. Then have fun explaining to them why you need them:D

so i should go to a ford dealer and ask in the service center for a wiring diagram? I'm so confused :confused:

One more thing - what about the rear seats? Can that be removed easily and then I can just install and bolt down the new rear seat, or what?

All the seats come out easy. Yes the service center should have the diagrams. I would take a look at the seats first and see if you can figure it out.

All the seats come out easy. Yes the service center should have the diagrams. I would take a look at the seats first and see if you can figure it out.

Ok excellent. I will keep you ALL updated with the progress - I am ordering them tomorrow from a private seller. I wanted to make sure it was possible first.

Back