01 Sport no crank no start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Sport no crank no start?

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport 4x4 2dr
I went to go start my explorer and it’s not cranking over at all, checked battery,checked fuses and all, has anyone had this problem? I don’t even hear the starter clicking , I just drove it the other day usually starts up no problem . I’m thinking it may be the starter solenoid?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing all your accessories are receiving power?
Turn the key on and jump the leads on the solenoid with either a heavy gauge screwdriver or wrench. If the starter engages, it's the solenoid. The solenoid is what clicks when you have a discharged battery. If the starter doesn't bump, I would look into the relay; if you have a multimeter, you can test these, but you'll need to find instructions on how to do it for your specific relay...Or you can just replace it since they're fairly cheap. I would say it's one or the other.

I believe that the solenoid is attached to the starter. I believe that the relay is mounted on the quarter panel with other relays. I suggest thick gloves when testing the solenoid. It doesn't happen often, but there have been a few instances where people have gotten an unwelcome shock by touching another piece of metal with the screwdriver/wrench while jumping those leads.

You don't say if you're getting power anywhere else. Do you interior lights come on? Exterior lighting works? Radio work, etc? If the answer to these questions is no, your issue is most likely battery, battery terminal or cable related. Check, remove and clean your connections. Always look at the obvious stuff first. if that's all good, check the starter connections and starter itself.

All of my lights work fine. I’m getting power to everything. That’s the first thing I checked.

All of my lights work fine. I’m getting power to everything. That’s the first thing I checked.

Then determine whether power is going to the starter mounted solenoid's "S" terminal. If it is, it sounds like your starter may be bad. You can try tapping on the starter and solenoid with a hammer, but even if it then works it's bad and will leave you stuck again.

So it’s not the starter. It has something to do with the pats transponder, and also on the ignition there is a little blue connector that makes contact on the ignition which I believe is the key warning switch, the clip that hold it in is broken because it won’t stay in place. I held it in place and turned the key over and my car started to crank over. But I can’t get it to crank again. I’m just going to hook up a starter switch instead of spendeing a fortune at the ford dealership

Back