01 sport stalls when in park with heat on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 sport stalls when in park with heat on.

happyhourhero

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer sport
Ok, I have a 2001 explorer sport v6. The problem I have is when I'm driving and I put the truck in park, it will stall. Also when I start it to warm it up, after a few minutes the rpms will start dropping and the engine will die. This only happens when the heat is on. If the heat is off this doesn't happen. The idle is fine and doesn't stall when I'm stopped at a light when the I'm in drive. Other than that the truck starts and runs fine. Side note, when the heat is on I hear a clicking noise coming from under the hood, I think. It happens every 15-20 seconds or so. Any ideas? I'm thinking alternator, but I'm not having issues starting the car... or maybe a vacuum hose.

I'm sure this had been discussed before but couldn't really find anything when I searched. If there is a topic please direct me to it. Thanks.

what heat setting are you using? the clicking might be the A/C compressor kicking in. the A/C compressor can run in any heat setting other than FLOOR or VENT. try one of those setting and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't even think about the compressor but I use the vent setting usually. I'll play around with all the settings regardless though.

Back