• Register Today It's free!

01 sport trac question

Eicks496

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 cummins
I'm new here and I looked around for a bit and tried to find the answer to this question so nobody would have to repeat it but I had no luck. Anyways I acquired a 01 sport trac and want to fix it for my 16 yr old daughter to drive as her first vehicle. It needs a complete front axle, ring and pinion blew apart and came through the housing and a rear spring and a few odds and ends. Does anyone know if I can use a ranger or explorer donor? If so what years interchange? Thanks for any information.

I'm new here and I looked around for a bit and tried to find the answer to this question so nobody would have to repeat it but I had no luck. Anyways I acquired a 01 sport trac and want to fix it for my 16 yr old daughter to drive as her first vehicle. It needs a complete front axle, ring and pinion blew apart and came through the housing and a rear spring and a few odds and ends. Does anyone know if I can use a ranger or explorer donor? If so what years interchange? Thanks for any information.

I just went through something like this with my rear axle. Turns out and '95-'01 4dr Explorer rear axle is identical other than the disc brake (vs drums on the ST). I don't know if the 2dr Explorer rear axle would also work, my guess is it probably would. The Ranger rear axle is only 28 spline and there may be other differences, No one here was much help, so I crawled under one of my 4dr Explorers with a measuring tape and compared. Other than the disc brakes they were a perfect match. I ended up buying a 4:10 rear axle out of an '01 Eddie Bauer from a local salvage yard, switched the brake parts around and called it a day. Ended up costing me $300 (not counting 3 qts of synthetic 75/140 gear oil). Once I pulled the EB rear axle apart I was pleased to see it looked absolutely new inside. There was also a 30 day warranty.

I don't know if the Ranger front axle is the same as the rear (in that it's only 28 spline vs the Explorer's 31 spline) but I'd suggest you compare them visually and check the RockAuto parts catalog part numbers for both to see if the assemblies/axles are the same, or if the Explorer front is a match.

Just make sure the axle ratio matches your rear axle.

Thanks for your help

No problem. As I thought about it I recalled that the front diff uses 1/2 shafts/CV joints, so I don't no that the axle spline count argument is relevant, but checking RA part numbers should tell you what interchanges.

Back