'01 Sport Track Brake and Turn Lights Frozen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 Sport Track Brake and Turn Lights Frozen

jackb2

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I have an '01 Stock Sport Trac 4X4. The recent bout of double digit -0 cold weather temps seems to have caused my brake lights, turn signals and E-flashers to stop working. I have tail, parking, backup lights all working. Replaced the bulbs in the back with no change. With the flashers turned on I get occassional squealing from the flasher behind the dash that will eventually get one or both of the front lights flashing but nothing from the turn signals or rear flashers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmmmm, I don't have a manual readily available.

But have you checked your fuses?

I have checked the fuses. All are good. The lights come and go. Once the truck is warmed up, the flashers will start to work and eventually the signals and brake lights. Then all of a sudden everything will stop again. I am thinking it is the flasher relay.

Followup

As a followup to this post, I was able to locate the problem in the multi function switch in the steering column.

The multi pin connector for the MFS was broken and when the steering wheel was adjusted down, the connector came loose. I had signals and brake lights in the highest position only. I used electric tape to hold the connector in place and have had no problems since. I should replace the connector but that seems like alot of work!

Back