• Register Today It's free!

01 SportTrac heat problem.

jbarber18

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I have an 01 ST and recently (now that is getting cold out) I have noticed that my heat is not staying hot. I tested it at idle in the garage tonight, and it will go from hot to cold and back (about 5-10 sec cycle). I checked the heater control valve and it seems to be working ok. The temp gauge seems to stay at about 30% of the way up even after running on the highway for a while, so I am thinking maybe a bad thermostat, but if that was the case, wouldn't the heat just stay luke warm, not fluctuate? Some also mentioned a plugged heater core or blend valve issue, but neither make sense with the hot/cold cycle as it is. Anyone have any experience similar or other ideas? I hate to just start trying parts to try parts.

Thanks in advance all!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you thermostat is shot bud.

+1 thermostat may be stuck slightly open. It may be fluctuating because as the engine block heats the coolant to give you heat for a sec and the coolant is also slowly going to the rad to cool and cooler coolant goes back into the engine giving you no heat for a sec. Even if this is incorrect thinking. Its never a bad time to change a thermostat. Either way if you are able, back flushing the core is free and thermostats are cheap. Let us know any results.

Also, air trapped in the cooling system can have this same effect. Has the cooling system been open for any reason lately? Any leaks?

New stat last night. No improvement. Temp gauge is about 35-40% and stable. Heat still alternates between hot and cold. I will try to flush the system and heater core this weekend. Until then, I'll keep my heavy coat and gloves on for the drive home!!

Update

Ok, so I did the coolant flush tonight and that didn't help, although it probably was due so its done now. I checked the blend door actuator, and it seemed to work fine at first, but I realized that with it unplugged, the temp would stay constant whether hot or cold. So I took a little closer look. With the actuator in place, I watched the shaft and could see that with the selector on hot heat, it was moving back and forth causing the temp to fluctuate. Now here is my question: Does the actuator have a feedback loop internally to determine where it is positioned, or is that signal coming from the control module? If I had to guess, I would assume a closed loop system inside the actuator module but I'm wondering if someone knows for sure before I go buying parts.

Back