01 ST - Additive to Stop Front & Rear Differential Leak? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 ST - Additive to Stop Front & Rear Differential Leak?

redhill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger
Hello,

I hope this post finds everyone well.

I know that stop leak additives are a controversial subject but has anyone tried any for a Sport Trac Differential?

Front is leaking at the driver side axle seal (was replaced around a year ago but mechanic says the front axle is rusted and thus not getting a good seal) and the rear is leaking at the pinion seal (may be original seal.)

I have Lucas Engine Oil Treatment and Bars Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair...and have also researched a product called AT-205.

One poster said that the AT-205 made the problem worse...

Anyway, has anyone tried any of these for the diff in the Sport Trac? I can't afford nearly $1K to fix these with a mechanic especially considering that the front axle may also have to be replaced.

Any insight sincerely appreciated!

If anything you only need a new cv axle and axle seal for the one front side. Both can be had for about $90 any most part stores. It's about 2.5 hours "book time" to replace those.

In the rear you can get a new seal for $15 at most part stores. If you have high miles (over 150k) I would replace the flange too. That way it's a guaranteed fix. A flange and seal kit is around $60. Labor time is about an hour.

I advise buying all your own parts and finding a smaller name shop with a good repor and pay for labor and fluids. Some shops won't want you to bring your own parts, you just call another shop.

The rear axle is an 8.8. Find a Mustang-specific speed shop (late model Mustangs also use the 8.8). Either buy your own pinion seal or the shop may already have on on hand from having done a lot of rear gear swaps. Speed shops usually charge a flat rate for a job instead of hourly labor, parts, and materials. You'd save a lot of money that way if you're not mechanically inclined or prepared to do the job yourself.

Timken part number 3604 for the rear pinion seal

For the pinion flange.........inspect the snout of the flange (the part the seal rides on) and make sure it is baby smooth. If there are any grooves of nicks on the snout then the new seal won't last long until you get a new pinion flange.

Back