• Register Today It's free!

01 ST electrical gremlins

Flash Gordan

Reaction score
City, State
Southern New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey everyone, I've been a member lurking for a couple years now and never had a Explorer. Always had Rangers and spent most of my time over at another forum. But now I have bought my first Explorer, a 01 Sport Trac built in November of 2000.
The reason I'm posting today is that I have found a bunch of electrical problems with the truck. Some of them I have fixed, like having both high beam headlights blown. A new set of headlight bulbs fixed that. And a blown third brake light.
But the first problem I'm having now is with the hazard lights/flashers. I hit the switch on the column and only the front two flash. The rear two do not. I know its not the bulbs themselves since the brake lights work. Can anyone point me in the right direction on that?
Second problem I found tonight driving down the road in the dark is that most, but not all, of the dash panel light bulbs are out. I'm thinking that they are blown and was hoping someone knows the procedure to replace them.
Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the procedure for the dash bulbs is to pull the cluster out and replace 'em. they're 194 bulbs. pull the radio bezel out, followed by the two kick plates under the dash, then the cluster surround. you'll have to shift into 1st in order to squeeze it out. then there's four screws holding the cluster in- disconnect the gear indicator first!

double check your bulbs in the back- they are double filament 3157 bulbs. it's possible they're both half blown. check your relays and fuses. get your battery and alternator tested while you're at it- sport tracs go nuts with a weak battery.

otherwise, you've got a wiring issue. trace the harness, looking for anything funky. there are three connectors behind a plastic box on the frame rail under the driver's door. pull them apart (carefully) and check for any green rot. if you need to, get into the harness in the driver's door jamb. same deal.

vehicle-specific OEM wiring manuals are available cheap on ebay. mine has been well worth what I spent.

Get yourself 6 number 194 long life bulbs for the instrument cluster (194LL). Along with the instructions given above for getting the cluster loose, there are several electrical plugs you'll need to take loose from the back of the cluster to get it out. Be sure to change all 6 bulbs. The bases twist out and the bulbs pull out of the bases, which are reused.

BTW, You only need to pull the radio bezel out about and inch to get the cluster trim off. No need to remove the radio or unplug anything.

the procedure for the dash bulbs is to pull the cluster out and replace 'em. they're 194 bulbs. pull the radio bezel out, followed by the two kick plates under the dash, then the cluster surround. you'll have to shift into 1st in order to squeeze it out. then there's four screws holding the cluster in- disconnect the gear indicator first!
Anyone know where I can find a writeup of how to disconnect the gear indicator?

double check your bulbs in the back- they are double filament 3157 bulbs. it's possible they're both half blown. check your relays and fuses. get your battery and alternator tested while you're at it- sport tracs go nuts with a weak battery.
Not to poke holes in your suggestion but wouldn't the lights not work when hitting the brakes or the turn signals?

otherwise, you've got a wiring issue. trace the harness, looking for anything funky. there are three connectors behind a plastic box on the frame rail under the driver's door. pull them apart (carefully) and check for any green rot. if you need to, get into the harness in the driver's door jamb. same deal.
This would be most likely scenario but I haven't crawled underneath to check yet.

vehicle-specific OEM wiring manuals are available cheap on ebay. mine has been well worth what I spent.
I need to invest in a few repair manuals as well.

Back