'01 V-8 AWD advice needed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'01 V-8 AWD advice needed

When I got my 99 Mounty 5L I was surprised that it wasn't all that quicker (or appears not to be) than my 97 Sport 4.0 stick, but I am sure it will shine when I pull my camper :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 00' V8 AWD Mounty. My wife does actually. Man that thing gets around great on the ice/snow and when its raining. Mileage ranges from 15 to 20 in town to hiway. I changed to synthetics to ALL fluids everywhere. Best thing I done to it plus a high flow filter.

My wife really likes it. SHe feels very safe and comfortable in it. She even wants me to get the Apten chip when we can afford it.

We are going to use it to tow our Coleman Tent trailer also.

i REALLY feel a big differance in the 5.0 from my ohv 4.0..the 4.0 is a dog compared

I love mine....I've driven throu alot of area's where everyone I was with was in 4Low....

Its amazing in the snow....I've never actualy had a situation thats showed me the difference in the 4x4 system and the AWD system untill about 2 weeks ago...

this trail was flat but very steep and it was packed snow. It took me 2 trys to make it up this hill about 400ft. and I was ok with semi bald lame highway tires.

My friends K5 Blazer with 35's took 45 min and several tries in 4low and 4hi to make it up this hill!

If your gona do king kong rock crawling I still don't see a problem....just upgrade the brakes a bit for your steep hill decending. :)

Also the AWD is great in the rain because I'm a very agressive driver. I drove a jeep while my truck was in the shop when someone hit it and had to drive a grand cherocrapy in the rain....needless to say that SUV's ass came out on me so much I just left the thing in 4wd till I got my X back!

Well thanks to you boys and the fact that it had 13,795 miles on it I ended up buying it.

Now I have been setting here actually reading the book on it and found something I don't like at all. 5w-20 recommended for the 5.0L! Anyone run at least 5W-30 or even 10W-30? What's the deal on this. Seems you might as well run water in it........

Oil filter is an FL-820S. Looks like a short FL-1A to me. Any difference?

Another thing I see from reading this is that the V8's must have all had posi rear ends. It doesn't come out and say that though. It says that 4.0 with posi must use 75W-140 synthetic gear lube with a friction modifier added to it. All 5.0 must use synth and friction modifier? Looks like maybe a posi, Am I right? Jackstand treatment tomorrow I guess.

Oh yeah since I got this thing 3 hours from home I got to do the mpg thing right away. 1 1/2 hours at 65 to 70 and another 1 1/2 hour at 50 to 60 (snow) all intersate on the way home. 16.5 mpg.

i would use a good synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 but that is just me. the 5w20 is mainly for emissions purposes. with only 13k there is no reason to open up the diff. you there is a code on the door that will state what rear axle you have

I have used 10-30 mobil one for the past 71,000 miles. The engine is very strong and runs like new (except for the AWD problem Im having right now).

I have a 98' AWD with the 5.0 and love it. I previously had a 93' with the 4.0 OHV and the 5.0 was a nice jump up, and you can't beat the sound of the V8 :)

I get about 13 in town, that's with my foot in it most the time. I figure with a high flow intake and dual exhaust Ill pick up 2-3 more mpg's not sure on highway probably about 15-16 @ 70mph.

I was a little hesitant to go to the AWD after having 4x4 w/ low range but I absoluitly love it, no complaints thus far from me, nearing 100k miles.

-Matt

No I don't have any intention of opening the rear up. I was just going to set 3 wheel up on blocks and see what happens.

I would personally like to run 10w-30. I buy oil in bulk and if I run 10-30 I won't have to buy a drum of something different. Hadn't considered Mobil 1 though. What kind of oil change interval are you running with the Mobil 1?

i am not really a fan of the extended drain intervals but i change it evert 3000-4500 whenever it gets dirty

clarification

Did i miss something when we bought a 97 XLT with V-8 AWD? The system runs in all wheel drive ALL the time? I was told that it only engaes when you slip and need the traction? We have liked the not having to push or pull anything when the weather mandates extra traction. Thanks for clearing this up...G

you are thinking of the control trac on the v6 models that engages when the wheels slip. yours is in awd all the time

I have noticed that there have been several comments about the brakes on these Explorers. If I understand the comments there are some brake upgrades available?

I did notice that this thing doesn't heave near the touchiness of brake pedal as either of my F150's. Breath on those brake pedals and your clamping it down. You have to push right down on the Explorer.

Guess I need more advice.....LOL

ya the brakes arent too good i have had suprisingly good luck with the jcwhitney titanium brake pads i have also heard good things about the performance friction pads and powerslot rotors

I use a synthetic 0-30 in mine. I've had no problems and it starts real nice and easy in the winter. Never had to plug it in. I switched over all gear fluids to synthetic also. Yes....add the friction modifier. Without having my foot in it at all, I have got over 20mpg with it going about 70-72 mph.

We are really happy with ours. With all the snow and ice, my wife says she doesn't remember slipping when taking off or stopping. The antilocks work great.

you should have 3.73 gears....I think thats what came in all the 5.0's..

Back