• Register Today It's free!

'01 V-8 AWD advice needed

JeffD11N

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
Been looking at an '01 explorer with a 5.0L and it has AWD. My questions are with the AWD. I don't know the first thing about them.
1. Are they any good or should I run?
2. What are the problems with them?
3. Just how bad is the MPG on this going to be? I hope for 15. Just don't want to see 12 with that 302 infront of an AWD set up.

Anthing you guys can mention I'd like to know. Probably going back on Saturday to either buy or walk away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

1. AWDs are bad ass.
2. The only 'problems' are there is no 2wd and they whine.
3. You'll see 15 or more mpg.

Get one! :D

Ive had a 96 XLT with the 4.0 SelectTrac and my current 99 5.0 AWD. The MPG wasnt noticably different and routinely get close to 20 on the highway when i keep my foot out of it. Around town ive dipped to 13-14 mpg but average around 15. I did like having a 4Lo setting on my 96 and being able to take it out of 4Auto for pure 2wd. But AWD is real nice. Nothing to think about and lots of torque. I dont think you'll be disappointed. Get it! :D

Originally posted by JeffD11N
Been looking at an '01 explorer with a 5.0L and it has AWD. My questions are with the AWD. I don't know the first thing about them.
1. Are they any good or should I run?
2. What are the problems with them?
3. Just how bad is the MPG on this going to be? I hope for 15. Just don't want to see 12 with that 302 infront of an AWD set up.

Anthing you guys can mention I'd like to know. Probably going back on Saturday to either buy or walk away.

No problems with mine so far. I get over 12 most of the time.

Just got my 99 Mounty the other week 5L AWD...

...and love it.

So far 15.8mpg, not bad with the bitter cold we have had here in New England.

..just wish the V8 came in a manual transmission, now that would be a fun vehicle!

these guys are right. 120k and everything is solid. Someone will mention soon that the exhaust manifolds will leak on these (like mine has) but other than that, It is a good combo. 15mpg will be the average.

I have a 98 V8 AWD and love it. The only problem I have with it is the viscous coupling in the transfer case is freezing up on me. Keep in mind that this is a rare problem. I have been off roading frequently during its 71k miles. The fozen VC has caused some added wear on other components causing an annoying pinging/rattleing noise under partial engine load. I will have the transfer case replaced in a couple of weeks under my warrenty, so no worries there.

the only thing that u don't like is the fact that there is no low range but other than that they are fine

Yeah, you can get 12+mpg if you keep your foot out of it. :D

Um, yeah, once in a while the exhaust bolts will back out. Other than that, mine has been great. Bought it in Aug. and have put 10K trouble free miles on it.

Kepp the advice coming guys. The wife is going to be driving this one so high side only is livable I guess. Yeah I'd rather have a true 4 wd especially if it had lock outs but those days are gone. You guys know of any conversion kits to take this back to true 4wd?

There is a true conversion kit. It is called the V6.LOL. If you are not going off road, the V8 is great. Go for it.

good luck!!

If you are not going off road, the V8 is great. Go for it.

Um...been where others were scared to go with my AWD. Never been stuck either. Snow, sand dunes, and back hill trails havent stopped my AWD. Although I dont go rock crawling, LOL. Only on occation did I wish I had a low range, but none the less, still pulled through.

I truly believe the key to off roading is knowing how to drive. I have spent many hours trying to help others pull out of the sand at the beautiful Oceano Dunes in CA.

The AWD will meet your typical off roading needs. If you are intent on MAJOR off roading, there are several topics of discussion on a transfer case swap from a V6 exploder to give you low range.

Hope this helps

don't take this the wrong way but in all honesty i think you are better off going with the v6 better milage and true 4x4

my dad's 5.0 is getting better MPG then my ohv..he's getting 19MPG in city with me driving half the time..we both are major lead foot's..the awd get's around just as good as my 4x4 if not better(i have bald tires)..he's plowed threw 3 1.2 foot of snow with stud's no prob

V8 AWD all the way!!!

that is true probrally cause you are in 4x4 all the time if properly maintained the v6 sohc or ohv will get better milage than the 5.0 i could be wrong but i doubt that your wife had lead foot syndrome ;)

hey,i properly maintaine my truck thank you very much..im only in 4x4 in the winter..in 2wd my dad still get's 5-9MPG better then me..and my dad's in awd all the time

wife? im 14

The wife is going to be driving this one so high side only is livable

Originally posted by JeffD11N
Kepp the advice coming guys. The wife is going to be driving this one so high side only is livable I guess.

My wife drove the 96 XLT with SelecTrac and routinely forgot to put it in 4Auto when the roads got snowy. When we got the AWD, i felt comfortable knowing id never have to remind her to make sure the 4WD system was engaged during bad weather. Peace of mind is very under-rated. :)

a 98 and up will automaticly be in auto and can be shifted to 4hi also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having had both, I've been able to compare the 4.0 6 & the 5.0 V8 in all respects. Your mileage will be very comparable...even considering the AWD's 'all-time engagement'. True, there is more 'resistance' with the AWD, but it is negligable when it comes to mileage between the two.
Don't expect significantly more punch with the 5.0 than the 4.0..... the power shows up in the torque.
After having engageable 4WD with High & Low ranges, I'll take the AWD. It's always in '4WD' and that's really nice when you're in the snow/mud, then you go to dry pavement (isn't that what we do most of the time when using 4WD/AWD?). This may be highly debatable, but I think the AWD seems to be a more sophisticated drive system, in that the engagement seems to be more evenly spread across the wheels that grip. I don't even get the least amount of slippage when in relatively deep snow on a downhill incline.
The 5.0 has proven to be an extremely durable workhorse. I'm at 137k on a '99 with absolutely no problems aside from an EGR diff. sensor.

Back