01 XLT looking for Mods, suggestions please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 XLT looking for Mods, suggestions please!

thompsonsd

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington Park, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hello All. I have an 01 XLT 5.0 (2 wheel drive...) and I'm looking to make some Mods. I really have a craving for more HP to the road, so I'm thinking Gears! I also need a little more towing power from the rear so I don't kill the transmission. Problem, I don't know what Gears I have now and I don't see it listed on the door...

Anybody know what Gears I probably have and/or recommendations on which Gears to get?? (At 70 mph I'm at 2,100 rpm)

What Gears do you guys have and would you make that choice again/why?

List your favorite Mod! :D

Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thompsonsd said:
Hello All. I have an 01 XLT 5.0 (2 wheel drive...) and I'm looking to make some Mods. I really have a craving for more HP to the road, so I'm thinking Gears! I also need a little more towing power from the rear so I don't kill the transmission. Problem, I don't know what Gears I have now and I don't see it listed on the door...

Anybody know what Gears I probably have and/or recommendations on which Gears to get?? (At 70 mph I'm at 2,100 rpm)

What Gears do you guys have and would you make that choice again/why?

List your favorite Mod! :D

Thanks!!!

Axle ratio, unless a particular option was purchased, will depend on which model you have. You didn't indicate whether you had an XLT Sport or the non-Sport. Anyway, I have a pic of the Explorer axle matrix but I can't seem to attach it to a message here. If I can do that you should be able to look at this and figure it out.

Cheers!

Look on the door sticker again, near the bottom will be the word "AXLE" and underneath that will be a code. You can search for a chart here on the forums on how to interpret that code, or just tell us what it is, and we will let you know.

You can also get under the rear of your truck, and attached to one of the rear differential cover bolts should be a metal tag. It should have a code that looks something like "3L73" or something along those lines. That code will tell you the gear ratio and whether it is open or ls.

All the 5.0s came with the 3.73LS regardless of 2wd or Awd.

Somebody slap me if I'm wrong.

If you have the 15" rims w/ the stock 235/75/15s, I wouldn't change gears

Well terdrocket, I guess you can consider thyself smacked. I opened the door fo my 5.0 non-sport and looked at my Axle code "45" and it translates into 3:55 Non-limited slip. Sorry.

Now the decision I face is to take my little 4x2 into the 4:10 or 4:30 Gear realm... Which would you choose???

Yep, I'm running stock size tires, BUT I at least have the Bridgestone Revos's. I simply NEED more power to the road. No two ways about it, this poor stock X is just plain SLOW. I need some healthy MODS to improve it!!! :-)

After driving around today at different speeds and watching my tach I'm leaning towards the the 4:30 Gears. I really want to feel that extra pull when I nail the gas pedal, and I think it's only about 100 rpm higher that the 4:10 Gears.

Opinions???

Gears aren't going to help you much on a 4800lb SUV. You might as well scrap that idea and go for a supercharger. You keep saying you need more power so there you go.

Personally, my X is quite fast. Then again, I don't tow anything.

You have the exhaust so next you need an intake and a chip. There's also the cam swap.

If you're 2wd, then 4.30s all the way. However, 4.30s aren't made for the front diff, which leaves you stuck with 4.10s if you are AWD.

Back