• Register Today It's free!

01M01

DaleG

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4X4
Just recieved owner notification letter 01m01 regarding front timing chain guides or similiar, sorry don't have it in front of me. Is this the same as the tensioners that was part of 00m12 last year , or is this a different set of components?. I had the tensioners replaced last november and haven't had any further problems since then, just curious if this was something different to be on the lookout for.

thanks

It is the same thing. Last November (00M12) was just an Owner Notification Program, which meant if your vehicle was affected Ford would replace them for free. Now it is an actual Recall. All Explorers built within the specified years can come in and get the revised parts whether they are experiencing the problem or not.

Robert, it is not the same thing. 00M12 only involved the intake gasket and LH chain tensioner.

01M01 covers the LH chain guides (cassette). Replacing the cassette involves major work and is only for vehicles experiencing problems.

First off, I was (mistakenly) under the impression that the chain guide and chain tensioner were the same item, apparantly not. I rechecked both letters and nowhere on my letter to consumer, letter to dealer, installation instructions, etc. for 00M12 does it mention "chain guide". And, nowhere on my letter for 01M01 does it mention "chain tensioner". Therefor, I will assume that you are correct and that they are indeed two different parts.

Great, now I will have to take my Explorer back to Ford so they can tell me if what I thought was a bearing noise is the chain guide. I originally thought it was from my water pump that I knew was leaking. However, when I had it replaced the noise didn't go away. It can best be described as a metallic, grinding type noise that increases its frequency with the RPM of the engine. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will attribute it to my chain guide. That would be a much better alternative than a main bearing or something else internal to the motor going bad. With 72K though, who knows?

Back