02-04 rims fit 98? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02-04 rims fit 98?

I'm need a second set of rims (for summer tires) for my 98 xlt sohc 4-door. currently running 235-75/15 tires.

will the 16 x 7 oem rims from 02-04 explorers fit mine? one set has the part number 3454 and another is 3450. Offset still the same?

I can find compatible tire sizes to give me the right diameter. I like the newer rims and have an opportunity to get some.

also, where can I find the weights for the different oem rims? that's part of what I'm looking at.

thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the newer rims should fit.

I have some 17" rims with tires from my 04 LTD for sale if you're interested

philipb123 said:
I have some 17" rims with tires from my 04 LTD for sale if you're interested

How much?

thanks for the responses. I also found that the offset is different on the newer rims, so everything will move in about 3/4". No big deal if stay with close to stock tires, which I will.

this website is Great!

Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods.
Lawrence R. Koller, 1948

you may be able to judge how much further in they will sit from this picture

474045_29_full.jpg

This is obviously a first gen, but I beleive first and second gens had the same wheel specs. You can find a few more pics in either of the 2 links in my sig that may be useful to you. just slightly different angles.

I've got snow tires on Sport Trac wheels, and they do set in slightly. For my other, 98 Mountaineer, I have a 17" Mountaineer 2003 wheel for a spare. It is a model 3325 I believe, with a 44mm offset. It is very close to rubbing in front with 1/4" spacers, and a 275/60/17 tire.

If you don't use a much wider tire, a 1/4" spacer should make them fit okay. LOL,
DonW

91CheapExp said:
thanks for the responses. I also found that the offset is different on the newer rims, so everything will move in about 3/4". No big deal if stay with close to stock tires, which I will.

this website is Great!

So... did you you get the 02-04 rim to fit your 98 XLT w/ no problem? What tire size did you get? Thanks.

Back