'02-'05 4.6L owners: Had to replace or have replaced the oil filter adapter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02-'05 4.6L owners: Had to replace or have replaced the oil filter adapter?

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
I think I have traced my Exxon-Valdese oil leak problem in the '04 Monty.

All things point to the adapter &/or gasket.

Any consistent reports of this being a problem?

Resident Ford Tech, input would be great.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is just the oil filter adapter gasket. Very common problem.

thanks!

its weird... it will leak a drip or 2 one day then like a 1/2 quart at a stop @ McDonalds... so random. then other times it will go 2-3-4-5 days not leak a drop.

checked PCV system, all hoses, all connetions... etc.

Rob

Its not too bad to replace if you are going to do it yourself. You will have to drain cooling system thougha and take off some stuff underneath to access it.

cool thanks for the 411.

I will do the gasket first. Power wash everything underneath... then watch it for a couple days

Rob

'02 Explorer- need help with oil filter mount

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a problem here and need help. I needed to replace the oil filter mount gasket on my 2002 Explorer 4.6. I got the old one out OK, but trying to get it reinstalled all 4 bolts feel like they are cross-threading on me once threaded about 1/4 of the way in. I don't remember them being this tight coming out, but I've tried everything I can think of to get them straight with no luck. If anyone has any tips how to do this, or can tell me that these bolts are SUPPOSED to feel so tight going back in, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I replaced mine and didn't have any problem with threads. The Ford workshop manual I found on web had no information other than install in reverse order.

Be careful here. Go to hardware store and get the metric nut and check the bolts. If ok, then try threading them in without the adapter housing. If they are galled, might consider chasing with a tap.

^^ this... mine came out and went in pretty straight forward. Its just a tight aea on the AWD trucks to work in.

x2 on the thread them in w/o the adapter to be sure all is ok, then if any doubt, run a chasing tap through just to be safe. Remember the explorer/monty 4.6L is an ALUMINUM block.. easier to crossthread/strip & harder to repair.

Rob

Thanks for the tips. There is an unused, threaded hole to the left of the mount, so I used that to verify the bolts were OK. The 3 other holes were definitely damaged, it was visible once I removed the mount. I went ahead and re-chased the 3 holes with a M8-1.25 tap; after that it went together fine.

Back