02-05 ex factory lighting question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02-05 ex factory lighting question

This ain't gonna make any sense to some of you, but ponder it anyway, please....

Chevrolet has a feature in some of thier vehicles called surveillance mode. When this switch is activated, all lighting with the exception of the brake lamps are defeated; i.e., they quit working. No radio, electronic dash, dome lamps, headlight, nada.

Before this switch, it was a pain in the ass to add this feature to vehicles.

I would like this feature on an 05 explorer. It has been suggested that you could put a switch in line with the lighting control modules' main power feed to create this effect. I know there is an LCM on the crown vic, but I don't know if it exists as such in an explorer. I do know a partial blackout can be had by rotating the dimmer switch until it clicks.

At any rate, wouldn't killing off the lcm generate a trouble code and activate the check engine light? Could the lcm, if it exists, deal with having its' power rudely taken away from it?

What about lifting ground from it instead?

Any ideas, shots in the dark, whatever would be appreciated. I can't sleep so I am going to hit the service DVD and look at a couple of diagrams. Anyone have a rental explorer with full coverage insurance they want to experiment on? LOL

-Shawn

I know that 95 through 99 did not have a LCM however there is a common feed for the lighting system that could be placed on a relay switch thereby disabling the system. Since I don't have the later model wiring diagram I will have to defer to those who do.

Heck for that matter you could put a high amp relay before the main distro box under the hood and disable the entire system. Of course you would have to open the doors with the key <G>. It would not be hard though put a relay on only the max fuses that are used for lighting and pcm and have them all controlled by one switch. That way the locks would still work but your truck could not be started or the lights come on without having that switch turned on.

Oh and I wouldn't lift ground from a lighting system, or any system for that matter, many times it will try to find ground through the lights or some other path that will cause very strange things to happen.

For example, I had a contour that had a bad grounding strap on the engine, when you turned on the lights it would do very strange things like turn on the radio, the wipers and many other accessories. This is due ot the lights finding an alternate ground path.

Back