02-05's Center Row Seats Recline?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02-05's Center Row Seats Recline??

FirstFordEver

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT and '05 XLT
I am starting to search for '02-'05 Explorers/Mountaineers. I have heard that some models ('04s-'05s??) center row seats recline (a little bit, anyway). My (2) teenage sons need to "kick-back" a little when travelling as fixed seatbacks can get uncomfortable after awhile.

I would greatly appreciate some insight so that I can narrow my search by model or model year. Or, should I look for one with quad seating w/second row buckets?

Thanks in advance! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I don't know about the 03-05 but I know on my 02 with the 3rd row the second row does not recline.

If it reclined...

Well I don't know about the 03-05 but I know on my 02 with the 3rd row the second row does not recline.

I would hate to see a 3rd row recline.. :eek:

My seats don't recline... the wheel wells sit right behind each door seat. May be they recline in a Lincoln? Or a Limited?

'04 here with 3rd Row, Quad Buckets with Center Console- 2nd row Reclines.
Mountys I think all come in with Quad Buckets.

Here is a Pic of my Second Row, note the Handle on the Folded Seat, also the Seat that is down is Reclined.

Attachments

• img023.jpg
    img023.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 7,331

Great... now i want 04 seats in my 02. (if they fit, and looks like a match from the pic)
but maybe i'm :crazy:

Thanks to all for the info! Looks like '04-'05s or quad seating! Helps narrow the search!:)

I would hate to see a 3rd row recline.. :eek:

My seats don't recline... the wheel wells sit right behind each door seat. May be they recline in a Lincoln? Or a Limited?

Well I don't know about the 03-05 but I know on my 02 with the 3rd row the second row does not recline

Guam'sBest I am with you now I want them :D

Oh Lord! I was just saying I'd hate to see a 3rd row hanging out the back hatch... Good grief, man... haha? sheesh... It ain't that serious.

Just checked(had to check since I don't sit back there) my 04 XLT with second row, 3 piece bench seats. It reclines about 1/2" - just enough to feel it move but not enough to make a difference.

My 04 bench seats don't move either, very uncomfortable.

Sorry guys, that stinks. Could any post any pics? Didn't the 2nd Gen do it?

The bad thing is, I have never seen a '04 with the Quad Buckets, they seem kind of rare. That’s even being in Detroit and working in Dearborn for a while - where after work you look for your truck and there is like a Half Dozen same year and color. Once or twice i did stand outside one and wondered why my key wouldn’t fit . . .

The '02 Limited with the split bench seats do not recline, and are fairly upright, IMO not as comfortable as my prior '97 XLT. I think that in order to get recline, you have to have the four bucket option. It should be a bolt in if you can find a set, however.

On my 05, with the 3rd row seats, the second row folds and tumbles, the seat backs on the outside seats, recline about 5 inches. While not very much, it is better than the stock upright position.
Bill W

Attachments

• 100_0457.jpg
    100_0457.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,439

i was looking at my seats today and i think that by trimming the plastic the seats can recline..i might grow some balls and do it tomorrow lol
i'll take pictures to show you guys what i mean

On my 05, with the 3rd row seats, the second row folds and tumbles, the seat backs on the outside seats, recline about 5 inches. While not very much, it is better than the stock upright position.
Bill W

Thanks! Soooo...am I correct that if there is 3rd row seating, the outside seatbacks recline?

Not trying to be a nuisance, but this is a "must have" feature and I don't want to waste time driving to dealer to find out a particular version does not have 2nd row reclining seatbacks

Thanks again to all! :usa:

Thanks! Soooo...am I correct that if there is 3rd row seating, the outside seatbacks recline?

Not trying to be a nuisance, but this is a "must have" feature and I don't want to waste time driving to dealer to find out a particular version does not have 2nd row reclining seatbacks

Thanks again to all! :usa:

No.
I have an 04 with 3rd row and there is no recline in the outside seats.
It appears that TinwoodyII has an 05 that does it.
And the quad seat versions to it too.

check out what an Aviator looks like with the quad seating
here on ebay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back