02 4.0 PCV valve replacement and location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 4.0 PCV valve replacement and location

jimstruck

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Exp XLT 15 Exp Ltd
I've recently retired and will do some of the work on my '02 Explorer. Can't see the PCV valve. Online photos show various locations depending on year. also is this a dealer or aftermarket part? Appreciate the help for jimstruck.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's on the back of the drivers side valve cover, kind of a pain to get to. You can get aftermarket PCV valves for this car, fairly cheaply as well.

Jim,

I just changed mine (2003 - 4.0) while I had my valve covers off for other matters. Like you, I wanted to do it for a while and found it to be a pain in the arse to reach - so decided to wait until the valve cover work. But now that I have seen the set up I would suggest this if I were to do it again (with the covers on).

There is a thick vacuum hose from the rear, driver-side corner of the intake manifold that goes to the PCV. I would remove the intake end of this hose first (a shot of wd40 helped when pulling/twisting it off of the intake) and then remove it from the PCV. (my set up had no heating element or other electrical components to the PCV, as some others do). The PCV is not a "pull out" type, but rather it twists into place. About a 1/2 counterclockwise turn will lose it. When you put it back, it will click into place as you turn it clockwise. I put a thin coat of clean oil on its oring before reinstalling.

i am having trouble finding the stupid pcv. i have 2003 4.0 sohc (flex fuel). been stuck for a while and i wanna know if you changed yours and if so, how you went about doing it.

I have an 01 and can not find it..would it be on the same spot

Back