02 AWD CV Shafts Removed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 AWD CV Shafts Removed

gdhoward

Reaction score
City, State
Sedalia, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Long story short, the viscous clutch welded itself together and ended trashing the front diff. I have removed the CV Shafts and was going to take them apart and reinsert the end into the hub. I could not get the CV shaft apart, the axle shaft from the wheel end of the shaft.

I have put about 200 miles on the vehicle with no shafts installed at all and in fact removed the diff as well.

I have seen some posts on other forums that it is not good to run without the shafts thru the hub, why is this? The hub is held together with 3 bolts as it is an internal bearing hub. Near as I can tell, the CV shaft is only there to drive the wheel when the AWD kicks in.

Can anyone confirm this for me and any ideas on how to get the CV shaft apart so that I can put the end back in the hub.

Also, would put a same size bolt thru the hub do the same as the CV shaft end? Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I know is when you buy a 2WD replacement hub from the parts store it has a splined bore for a CV shaft. I'm pretty sure the parts aren't any different. But someone might correct me.

I think that rule of thumb applies to traditional bearing setups.

Thanks. I'll have to look that up. I know traditional 2wd's in the past had a spindle that the bearings, which were pressed into the wheel hub, ride on. Which is very different from the setup of a CV shaft vehicle

Thanks. I'll have to look that up. I know traditional 2wd's in the past had a spindle that the bearings, which were pressed into the wheel hub, ride on. Which is very different from the setup of a CV shaft vehicle

Yeah go to rockauto or somewhere and look up the hub part #. Willing to bet it's the same for both.

Yep, just looked them up. Not a one specifies 4WD or AWD

I am in agreement on this one. I see no need for the shafts if they aren't driving the wheels.

The reason you need to have the CV shafts installed is because in the AWD vehicles, there is the possibility of the car rolling forward/backward in park. This was discussed a long time ago and if I can find the thread, I'll link it here.

If you do not want to replace the shafts at this moment, I'd recommend at least using the parking brake whenever possible to prevent the possibility of the car rolling away.

Not what I was looking for, but close enough: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204488

Back