02 Defrost problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Defrost problems

robj628

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I have been battling heat issues for the last year now on my wives 02 Explorer. Last year I replaced the blend door with a "heater treater" door and replaced the actuator at the same time. This fixed the heat...in the floor vents, however the lever that works the defrost mode door was broken so I couldn't get much air to the windshield, and what was getting there was cool. I had Ford replace the box that houses the mode doors for the vents and defrost and now I get lots of air to the window...only it is still cool at best. Now here is the part you have to listen closely to, hot air blows out of the floor vents when you have the vents or defrost on, but the hot air is not coming up to the other vents, still cool air coming from the upper vents. Something is blocking the flow of the warm air. So after $200 last year and $700 this year to Ford, I still have no warm air for my wives defrost! Can someone please help me with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back to ford and make them fix it.

Last year I replaced the blend door with a "heater treater" door and replaced the actuator at the same time. This fixed the heat...in the floor vents, however the lever that works the defrost mode door was broken so I couldn't get much air to the windshield, and what was getting there was cool. I had Ford replace the box that houses the mode doors for the vents and defrost and now I get lots of air to the window...only it is still cool at best. Now here is the part you have to listen closely to, hot air blows out of the floor vents when you have the vents or defrost on, but the hot air is not coming up to the other vents, still cool air coming from the upper vents. Something is blocking the flow of the warm air. So after $200 last year and $700 this year to Ford, I still have no warm air for my wives defrost! Can someone please help me with this?

Since you had Ford work on the vent mode door this year, I would take it back to them and have them figure it out as Apanello suggests. If the Heater Treater fix for the Temp Blend Door is working corrrectly and you get heat when temp dial is set to heat and cold air when set to cold, then your problem appears to be in the vent control area. Cold air thru the defroster vents when set to heat and defrost, suggests this. Sort of sounds like Ford didn't connect up vent duct work correctly when they were in there. Do you get good blower air flow thru the defroster vent when the fan speed is set to high #4 setting? If you don't get good blower air flow thru that vent, you could have a bad "fresh air recirculation door" blocking the blower air flow, but you should still feel hot air coming thru the defroster vent even with this problem. Ford should have tested everything after they worked on it, making sure every function was working properly, but who knows with them.

Do you get good blower air flow thru the defroster vent when the fan speed is set to high #4 setting? If you don't get good blower air flow thru that vent, you could have a bad "fresh air recirculation door" blocking the blower air flow,

where is this " fresh air recircullation door " at ?

Does anybody have a link to a diagram of the duck work ?

where is this " fresh air recircullation door " at ?

Does anybody have a link to a diagram of the duck work ?

The link below shows where the air recirculation door is housed. It is behind the glove box and it's easy to get at to check for a failed air recirc door. Look at the 12th picture where the guys(eyeinthesky57) left hand is lifting up a black box from the right hand side. To open that black box in the pic, just have to remove 4 screws, 2 on the left side and 2 on the right. The pic shows the 2 on the right. Forget the rear screws, don't need to remove those unless you plan on doing the complete repair as in that post. Some of us just removed the air recirc door permanently thru the opening in that black box in the pic, and if yours fell off it's hinge points and is blocking your dash vent, blower air flow, it will be laying flat inside that box on it's side. After you remove it, just re-install the 4 screws and you'll see how great the blower air flow is now. Worked for me. Hope this helps. BTW, this link is to do the full repair job of that door, but it involves pulling out half of the dash. To check the air recirc door and remove it as I did if it is laying flat on it's side, just pull the 4 screws on the air box in pic 12 and split it open at the seam and done. Some say you lose Max AC cooling effect not re-installing this door, but I didn't notice anything like that this past summer. AC was cold. Also, there was a post out there with the dash diagram in it showing the air recirc door, but I couldn't find it in my search.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316624

I had the fresh air door replaced at the same time Ford worked on it, so all is good there. They are going to look at it again today, so maybe they will figure it out.

Back