02 Engine wont start in cold weather | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Engine wont start in cold weather

dcone

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB V6
2002 EB Explorer. Near or below freezing temps past few days. Engine started up fine on first try yesterday and today. After idling and warming up for 10 minutes this morning I turned car off, went back inside and upon return 5 minutes later and attempt to restart, engine now wont start. It's turning over, but no ignition. Same thing yesterday....engine started and drove fine, but after coming home and sitting, then attempting to start again, no luck. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be bad fuel pump - When you turn the key to "start" position, can you hear a "clicking" sound from the fuel tank area? If not - fuel pump may not be working.

It's 13 here this morning, yesterday 17.

Failure to start like that could be many things, including the fuel pump as tv4fish suggests. Also, there might have been a little water in the tank that froze overnight and has reached the intake, blocking it, if you were low on gas.
You can try jumping up and down on the back bumper and if that's it and you are lucky, can dislodge the ice.

Not good weather to be stranded, or without your 4x4 when tomorrow's snow comes. Good luck.

Fuel relay maybe?

fish & joe,

thanks for the replies. I checked the following:

1) No fuel at fuel rail valve both when initially opened/depressed and when open/depressed during start attempts.

2) Banged on bottom of fuel tank while trying to start - no luck.

3) Turn key to on: did hear clicking by the fuel tank - so maybe it's a malfunctioning relay?

Any thoughts on the relay? Hope it's that and not my pump. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the replies.

What kinda battery do you have?

Not sure exactly car is at home right now......battery seems to be working fine though..... what are you thinking?

You need a Die Hard. If everything is clicking as it should, I think your battery may be the culprit. Some batteries tend to fail in severe weather or when seasons change... not sure why. If you jump it and it starts, I'd get a Die Hard.

how could it be a bad battery if it still is cranking hard though? Plus all lights and other electrical seem to be in order....

When my battery went bad, everything worked fine, turned the key and it clicked like a Tommy gun, except the thing wouldn't start. Then eventually the lights went dim, and I just got a new Die Hard (I was testing another brand when it failed). I've never had a Die Hard fail.

Also, the fuel filter... any issues with it? Is it new? Those are my two suggestions... battery and fuel filter.

I'll do a double check on the batt. just in case......

Fuel filter is newer also....

I just want my damn 4x4 back!!!!! Suppose to snow tonight/tomorrow and all's we got is a 2WD toyota corolla!!!!

I'll you know how it goes.

i doubt it's a battery. The EB is equipped with the message center; if battery output wasn't enough to crank the engine then it'd say "Check Charging System" in the msg center.

Also, if it's at full crank then I see no reason why it'd be the battery. Usually if a battery is bad or going bad you won't be able to crank, or crank will be extremely weak.

Ironically enough, in colder weather it takes my mounty longer to crank in the morning (Sometimes the remote start crank time isn't enough).

Could be fuel lines are frozen.Try some dry gas in the tank.The isopropyl gets rid of the water. The methanol type does not. I think Heet in a yellow bottle works well.All gas tanks get some water in them from heating and cooling.Usually not enough to affect the motor.

This is not good

thanks for everyone's replies. Here's an update, it's not good.

Ford dealership techs diagnosed and replaced my fuel pump last tuesday. Went to pick up vehicle and found out car still wouldn't start. Left vehicle with the techs and came back on wednesday and car was running fine was able to take vehicle home.

Vehicle ran fine until Saturday (3 days), then same problem again. Cranks like a champ but no start. Took to Ford and they guessed fuel pump again.....

Ford replaced fuel pump AGAIN. Went to pick up today (monday).

Car won't start AGAIN. Ford is re-evaluating their diagnosis.

So, two new fuel pumps, same problem, cranks fine but no start. Why can't the Ford techs get this one? Maybe someone else can?

Thanks,
Derek

Derek - Whatever you do, stick with pressing the dealership to "get it right". If you need to, go "up the ladder" with your complaint about them not being able to fix the problem.

Mistake 1, going to delaer. Never heard of that turning out well.

But now that you did, and paid them, make them get it right.

I think their thinking was, no fuel getting to engine, but FP electrical OK (in fact, pump is running), then it must be the FP. Even when they already replaced it once. Sure, a new one can be bad, but shouln't that make you take a second look first?

If the fuel line was frozen, the pump could run all it wants and gas still won't get to the motor, and it won't be the FP's fault.

Fish - I've been all over the dealership to "get it right" and so far my experience (as bad as it has been) has been a good one with them - they have been humble with their difficulties and so far no extra charges and I know they have atleast 12 manhours (and now more today....) into this thing beyond what I paid for. They also confirmed that since it isnt' the fuel pump I will get credited the costs already incurred for that towards whatever the problem actually ends up being.

Russ - My faith in the dealership and their techs is declining by the hour - see above though so far no extra charges it better stay that way. They are taking full responsibility (so far) for this thing still not being right. For how bad this situation is, I have been surprised by how well the dealership has handled me as a customer.

Frozen fuel line was a thought but I mentioned that and they said fuel lines were clear.....

A bit more info - If the car by chance does actually get started (which I was able to do on Saturday after about 1/2 hour of intermittent attempts), the thing runs fine - I ran errands all day - just left the car running everywhere I went. Idled for 45-mins unattended at one point.

It appears that the pump doesn't want to cooperate during starts, but if it does get going, will pump all day. They are working on the electrical angles as we speak.

One way or the other my loyalty towards Ford vehicles is starting to take a hit.

Having same issue....

Did you ever get this issue resolved/figured out? I have been having the same issue on and off for a few winters....wait a few min and try starting again will usually start. Sometimes holding accelerator to floor while cranking appears to help....which doesn't make total sense to me since it's EFI.

Just looking for another direction to look

Thanks

Just in case somebody else is reading this very old post searching for info...

My 93 ranger is having this problem only when VERY cold (it is about 5 degrees in day, 10 below at night). Starter fluid down throttle body made NO difference (no attempt at firing up, though cranking strong) so I'm sure I've eliminated frozen fuel line or fuel pump. The starter fluid should have forced a temporary run. Parts store suggested crank sensor switch. It's at bottom of engine where it gets splashed lots, if it's got water and then frozen... I'll try disconnecting and drying it. New one is about $120, so hoping I don't need to replace. I'll try and report back results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=247736]Greek2Me[/MENTION] please let me know what you find out because i ALSO am having this problem with the extremely low temperatures in the chicago area right now.

Back