• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer 4.0 @80mph then BANG!

02exp4Rap

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer 4.0
Crawled to home at 30mph max. Died every stop but restarted but shaky .Accelerator response was little to none.
Code pulled: p0340, p1151, p1309, p0171, p0300, p1131

Action taken per suggestions of the members here on same like situation:
1. Changed CMP - no changes
2. Changed alternator due to some members stated that defective voltage regulator will cause p0340 - no changes

Removed valve covers and found the driver side camshaft timing chain was broken - snapped, cut. Right side and main chain were OK. The timing chains was replaced over a year ago and I only got less than 10K miles. It was made in China.

Now my question: Can the valves and pistons contact when the crankshaft timing chain breaks? I asked this because I plan to fix it if fixable.

Thanks,
Gerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, surprised it ran on 3 cylinders. I guess you could try a leak down compression test, you will have to close the valves some how. Odds are the valves on that side are *****ed, and the pistons have a real good set of dings in them from the valves.

TBT,

Are you saying that the engine is a goner-junk? Is this absolute per your knowledge and experience? What is the best way to verify? I can't close the valve so I can't do compression test.

The engine is not locked. I cranked it by hand multiple rotations and seems that there's no binding. I don't want to mess (remove) the cylinder head if unnecessary. Currently only the 4 tc to flywheel bolts and engine mount before I can pull the engine.

Yeah, it ran on 3 cylinders for 10 miles. I exited from the freeway use the secondary roads home. I was happy I got it home but my nuts was sweating worried.

Leak down compression test (check youtube), have to pull the valve cover to turn the cam by hand to make sure the valves on the test cylinder are closed. The engine is an interference engine so odds are one of the valves made contact with the piston before it died. The engine would be repairable but after labor and parts it would be far cheaper to drop in a salvage or a referb.

TBT,

Thanks. I got you. Now I need to go to the Junk yard.

TBT,

Thanks. I got you. Now I need to go to the Junk yard.
make sure that you get one out of a truck with body damage. Preferably rear-end damage.

No body damage means it's there because of mechanical failure.

Back