• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer 4.6l Noise.

Sentry6

Reaction score
City, State
Norton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 3.5 Limited
Hi, yes another noise post lol. i spend hours looking around at threads.. nothing exactly like this i could find.

At idle only when warm im getting a deep tick sound clearly from the oil pan (sounds like a diesel knock), when i put the exp into gear noise goes away under all loads. sounds like a rod bearing?

02 ford explorer limited 4.6l 125k . always been serviced by dealer by prior owner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds Like a rod knocking to me from your description to me. There is only one way to find out, but I'd get a second opinion from someone who knows motors in your area.

Hi a good question would be, can the oil pan be dropped with the engine in the vehicle?

Thanks

i know this isnt that common a problem, has anyone tried to drop the pan w/o pulling the engine?

Thanks

i know this isnt that common a problem, has anyone tried to drop the pan w/o pulling the engine?

Thanks

Yes, the oil pan can be dropped very easily by removing the sway bar. Be very careful not to damage the old oil pan gasket, as it is reusable. The gasket will probably stick to the engine in the front, so hold the back of it up against the engine until the pan is out of the way. Then take one of the pan bolts, and stick it through the oil pan gasket in the back and thread it back in. This will help keep the gasket level and not bending down while you inspect the pan.

Back