02 Explorer - Air/Vent control won't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer - Air/Vent control won't work

priebe

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Smith, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello, I'm completely new to creating threads, so sorry if I do anything wrong.

I just bought a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT from a gentlemen, and while I was test driving, the car seemed to be in pretty good condition. The air worked and blew hard from all vents, was pretty cold (wish it were colder), and everything else checked out. So, met with him a few days later, sealed the deal, and drove away. While driving away, I noticed the air wasn't blowing from the center dash vents, or any of the vents around the front of the car. Maybe a whisper of cold air was sneaking out of them. I tried all of the knobs, and performed every combination or twists and turns and buttons, but nothing worked. I called the guy, and he said it worked fine for him just 30 mins ago. :mad:

I got home, did some googling, read a few forums here and there, and thought I had diagnosed the problem. I popped open my glove compartment, and sure enough, I could see the broken piece. It was a black piece that connects to the HVAC air vacuum control motor. I was able to turn it by hand, and suddenly air was shooting out of my front dash vents. However, through all of my internet searches, I cannot seem to figure out what this piece is called, part number, or anything that will lead me to replacing it, or even how.

I'm attaching a few pictures. Does anyone have any idea of what this is, how to fix it temporarily, or how to order a new part? Thank you so much for your help.

airventcontrol2_zps0363a987.jpg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/Greg_Priebe/brokenpiece_zps9fc582cd.jpg

Back