02 Explorer and adding the info center | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer and adding the info center

MichExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Hey guys,

First post here though I've been trolling for info since I bought my Explorer a couple of months ago.

I have a question about adding in the info center to a truck that didn't come with it.

On startup I notice that the little in-dash display for the odometer has all the lights for use with the info center and it got me to wondering if it were possible to add this into my truck.

I'm thinking that the wiring harness for it is most likely in the truck already, and that I'd need to add some type of module and the switches for it to operate.

In looking at a couple of other explorers of my year, the buttons for the 4wd option are on the right of the radio when the info center is present while mine are on the left side. Would this need to be moved as well?

Better question, anyone have any thoughts as to what would go into doing this mod?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my '04 the 4WD are on the right while the left is for the message center. The plug is there for 4WD when i don't have it (i'm AWD). For an '02 i've found and/or heard of wiring differences from '03. Keep an eye out for the Build date . .might matter. This weekend i'll check the book and see if there is a module or not.

Thanks for the response. Sorry I didnt' reply earlier as I've been on the road.

I know the build date of the vehicle and have a buddy at a salvage yard doing some litteral digging for me.

I wasn't able to get many yards to start tearing into dashes in scrapped vehicles as they seem to want to sell dashes and stuff intact.

I'll be taking mine apart sometime next week to start investigating the wiring and possible placement of a module if there is one.

i did check my FSM and it looks like its part of the cluster only other part is the switch. Check yours i bet there isn't anything back there . . however i think if you add the cluster and switch it MIGHT work.

Thanks for looking for me.

I was a bit worried that it was part of the cluser and not just a module that got mounted in. Guess I'll have to look around a bit for a cluster I can salvage if I want to proceed. Thanks

Thanks for looking for me.

I was a bit worried that it was part of the cluser and not just a module that got mounted in. Guess I'll have to look around a bit for a cluster I can salvage if I want to proceed. Thanks

why not do the Mountaineer cluster swap while you're at it? Finding those with the message center should be pretty easy.

why not do the Mountaineer cluster swap while you're at it? Finding those with the message center should be pretty easy.

I didn't know about the mod to be honest. If its a simple drop in I think it would be a thing to do.

Ok..back to the books and research..thanks

I didn't know about the mod to be honest. If its a simple drop in I think it would be a thing to do.

Ok..back to the books and research..thanks

Mountaineer clusters are nice!
Here is something like what you'd need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-M...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

That one has the message center.
Guys have swapped to mounty clusters and it works (but they were without message centers becuase the explorer didnt have the message center.)

If you give it a try... please please post back your results with pictures and anything you added to make this work. Do that and I'll bet you'll get an elite membership for posting the write up!!

From everything I have read you would have to run sensors and wiring to each individual thing the info center monitors. Also keep in mind your mileage is stored in the lcd readout or message center so if you put one in from a mounty or even explorer you would have to take it to the dealer to get the mileage fixed which could be pricey. Here is a link to where I found the info when I was researching the mounty cluster http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137682&highlight=mountaineer+cluster

From everything I have read you would have to run sensors and wiring to each individual thing the info center monitors. Also keep in mind your mileage is stored in the lcd readout or message center so if you put one in from a mounty or even explorer you would have to take it to the dealer to get the mileage fixed which could be pricey. Here is a link to where I found the info when I was researching the mounty cluster http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137682&highlight=mountaineer+cluster

actually according to this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636
(which has step by step instructions)
and others Ive read, the mileage is stored in the vehicles computer.
Others that have changed displays/clusters say the mileage stayed true.

I remember my grand mothers lebaron with the digital dash. We had to get a new cluster for that and it was not cheap to have the dealer correct the mileage in the new one.

According to the thread you posted nothing worked when he plugged in the mounty cluster and thats why he swapped the lcd read out and the circuit board. Look at the 15th picture his car is running and there is absolutely nothing displayed on the mounty gauges. Out of all the threads ive searched there is only one person claiming the mileage didnt change and that he didnt switch circruit boards. I will let you know for shure though as my mounty cluster should be here this week, I just ordered it off ebay saturday for $30 shipped with message center.

Re-reading my post I wasnt 100% clear, from what I gather on what I have read it is stored in the computer and lcd readout but in order to change what the mileage shown on the lcd reads you must take it to the dealership and have them reprogram the odometer to read what the computer does, which like Curtis said is pricey. Ill confirm this later on in the week though.

According to the thread you posted nothing worked when he plugged in the mounty cluster and thats why he swapped the lcd read out and the circuit board. Look at the 15th picture his car is running and there is absolutely nothing displayed on the mounty gauges. Out of all the threads ive searched there is only one person claiming the mileage didnt change and that he didnt switch circruit boards. I will let you know for shure though as my mounty cluster should be here this week, I just ordered it off ebay saturday for $30 shipped with message center.

Ahh... I misunderstood. I didn't realize you meant keeping original mileage with the info center. In which case, the mileage wont be incorrect, it just doesnt display. Neither does anything else.

I'm under the impression that if you put replace a non-message center explorer cluster with a non-message center mountaineer cluster your mileage will stay original.

In that thread when the non-message center display was put into the mounty cluster, things worked and mileage was correct. So I think the actual "number" I think is in the trucks computer.

Would love to see pix of your install too and how it works. Its something I want to do but I'm **** about having all my warning lights be correct especially 4x4 etc (and apparently no Mounty's were 4x4? so there is no light for that)

Message center swap is so much easier in the 2nd gen lol

I too would like to add the information center. When I took off the radio fascia (whatever it's called, the big black center thing on the dash. There was a wire harness behind the fake buttons to where a button module would plug into. My explorer is not 4x4, so I bet that wire harness was for the information center buttons.

When I look under my hood I also see a sensor to the side of my radiator to what l think looks like an outside temperature sensor. I bet that our trucks are already wired up for the sensors and has all the wiring.

I got some pictures to prove it too, but won't be able to do so until I get back home on the 7th. I'll post back then.

Keep us updated!

I wouldnt be surprised if the wiring for the 4x4 is in your dash also, thats how ford does it. One wiring harness for every platform in the long run it saves them money. However I dont really see them running all the sensors and everything else you need for the info center. If they did do that and hooked up all wiring why not just make all 3rd gens have the info center so they could save money with only having to have one instrument cluster made. Also on my Ex the outside temp is displayed on the electronic A/C not the info center. If you want ill run outside and tell you everything it monitors so you can check for sensors and wiring.

Edit: Mine monitors miles to E, average MPG, oil life, oil pressure, engine or oil temp. I forgot which one, charging system, coolant level, brake fluid level, and fuel level than of course trip, miles and compass.

Ahh... I misunderstood. I didn't realize you meant keeping original mileage with the info center. In which case, the mileage wont be incorrect, it just doesnt display. Neither does anything else.

I'm under the impression that if you put replace a non-message center explorer cluster with a non-message center mountaineer cluster your mileage will stay original.

In that thread when the non-message center display was put into the mounty cluster, things worked and mileage was correct. So I think the actual "number" I think is in the trucks computer.

Would love to see pix of your install too and how it works. Its something I want to do but I'm **** about having all my warning lights be correct especially 4x4 etc (and apparently no Mounty's were 4x4? so there is no light for that)

miles are stored in the instrument cluster itself. i just swapped ecu's and the miles are the same.

Got my Mounty cluster today around 4 and had it up and running by 6. That was with taking some breaks, the most time consuming part is getting the dash apart to get the guages out. Wasnt really too bad take the cluster apart and swapping parts. I plugged the mounty cluster in without swapping circuit boards and nothing happened just like xtremeranger so I swapped out circuit boards and the lcd readout and every guage works correctly. I dont know if I got some rare cluster but mine has 4x4 high and 4x4 low and I dont think there was ever a mounty with 4x4. This was the one thing holding me back from doing the swap so needless to say im stoked that every guage works. I grabbed a part # off the back but im not sure if its for the whole cluster or just the back piece as there was a tag with a bar code on the side but it wasnt readable. The # is 1L2F-10A855-AC

DSCN0997.jpg

DSCN0998.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are some sick gauges!

Wonder if theres any like that for a 95 explorer (from a mounty)

Back