02 Explorer, another starting problem thread. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer, another starting problem thread.

Alright well, good news is that it started up for a minute. We're back to the symptoms the guy I bought it from gave me. Basically I can hold the gas down and it'll run (badly I might add) for about a minute or so. Now that we've got the starting issue solved I think we're back to possibly a fuel delivery issue. Battery died though so I gotta charge it again. I tell you that battery sure don't last long when there isn't a car charging it lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am having same problem outta mine i m thinking cam sensor gonna replacer it this weekend and see what happens

Well I have a friend that used to be a mechanic for Ford and has all the service manuals and stuff. He said if I could get a scan tool and get some voltages and other scans out of it he could likely point me in the right direction.

Alright well, good news is that it started up for a minute. We're back to the symptoms the guy I bought it from gave me. Basically I can hold the gas down and it'll run (badly I might add) for about a minute or so. Now that we've got the starting issue solved I think we're back to possibly a fuel delivery issue. Battery died though so I gotta charge it again. I tell you that battery sure don't last long when there isn't a car charging it lol.

While you are continually draining the battery, use a lower amp charge (2 amp) to do over night "trickle" charges so your battery will continue to live during this.

Change fuel filter and check fuel pressure. Also check all your vacuum lines for cracks.

Can you check the fuel pressure with just a standard tire gauge? Or do I need to buy a special gauge?

Can you check the fuel pressure with just a standard tire gauge? Or do I need to buy a special gauge?

sorry tire gauge wont work , you need to get a fuel pressure gauge.

have you changed the fuel filter yet, if not you can take the old one off , then turn the key on and see if the pump is working. (that wont help with actually seeing what the pressure is but you will see that the pump is working) after you drain the fuel filter try blowing thru it (like a balloon , it shouldnt be hard at all to blow thru it , if it is then the filter is clogged and you definatly need a new one) this might save you some $$$ by not having to buy a gauge and the filter is only $10 or so.

Thanks, I think there is a good chance it could be clogged because it's likely the original one. The pump was replaced only months ago, and I can tell fuel is getting to the engine because I had the spark plugs out and turned the engine over and I can see it spraying out of the spark plug holes. But I can check it when I pull the filter off as well.

Ok picked up a new fuel filter, removal tool for it, throttle body and MAF cleaner and some coolant. Also grabbed a new battery charger that's much nicer then what I had (returned the old one to walmart).

Note on the battery up until now I had been trickle charging for the most part over night. I never used above 4amps usually when charging.

Ok picked up a new fuel filter, removal tool for it, throttle body and MAF cleaner and some coolant. Also grabbed a new battery charger that's much nicer then what I had (returned the old one to walmart).

Note on the battery up until now I had been trickle charging for the most part over night. I never used above 4amps usually when charging.

any news on that fuel filter , was it original ? , im curius if the guy replaced the fuel pump and didnt do the filter at the same time. that would be interesting lol :D

also if you get it running its a decent looking Explorer BTW

Yeah it's pretty nice looking, the bottom side is a bit more rusted then I'd like, but maybe I can do something about that? I don't know. I'm 99% sure I'll get it running though lol.

The guy that did the fuel pump was a "backyard" and some what shady mechanic, so no doubt he didn't do the filter. I had trouble locating my jack tonight (ended up in someone elses garage lol) so I'll be working on it tomorrow.

I did see something I'll have to take care of before long unfortunately. The rear diff has kind of oily on the outside, so I think it's leaking possibly. Nothing on the ground where it's been sitting for 3 weeks but I'm sure I'll be pulling the cover soon and draining and relsealing it up. Probably needs new fluid anyways, I'll likely do it and the tranny fluid at the same time.

Well having a problem lol, one of the bolts over the plastic cover that covers the fuel filter is just spinning, so the nut won't come off. Not sure what to do?

Also saw while down there just before the muffler on the exhaust there is a hole. So I'll have to look for one of those as well.

I read that people said the plastic fuel pump line release tool was easier to use, but I'm having a hell of a time.... And also the input side I can't get the red clip to slide up. I got the part unlatched but can't pop the clip up.

i like the metal fuel line tool personally , you could spray some rust bust in where the clip is , the reason i like the metal tool is , when you get a stubborn fuel line connector (like you have) i use a screwdriver to kinda pry it in there. also if you bend the spring for the connector you can buy a new repair kit pretty cheap. but try some penetrating oil or PBblaster.

you will probably have to find a way to cut the spinning bolt ( if there will be sparks (depending on what tool you use) make sure there isnt any fuel dripping (other wise it could get pretty exciting lol ) . then just put a new nut and bolt in there

the plastic clips , squeeze the tabs (where you unlatched it then push it thru) it does not have to come all the way out .

hope this helps

Well that nut that was stuck it ended up just breaking off the plastic on the other side. I'm going to pick up the metal tool tomorrow and work on it a bit more. I tried sticking a flat head in there to push it in more but it just wasn't working. There's just not enough room to leverage and hold the plastic ring into the fitting.

on my 02 the 2 lines with red clips you have to unfasten then squeez together and push up it will only come up about 1/2 an inch max then wiggle the line a little and off they came now on the engine side mine has a latch kinda like a tool box pull down on the end farthest from the filter then the 2 hooks that latch into the coupler will pop out wiggle the line a bit off it comes hope this helps i am having the same problems with my 02 replaced pump filter cam sensor still will not start up a little shot either and it will run for a few seconds i am officially stumped i had a shop put a new intake on it it ran prior to that so i m not sure what is going on

Well I got the tank side lines off now, and yeah mine had some sort of clip on it as well but you can tell it also has the little bearings inside that have to be pressed up. I've tried 2 different tools now and neither are working.......So I'm not sure what to do at this point. Was thinking about snipping it off close to the fuel filter and trying to get it out more with the filter out of the way.

Well I got the tank side lines off now, and yeah mine had some sort of clip on it as well but you can tell it also has the little bearings inside that have to be pressed up. I've tried 2 different tools now and neither are working.......So I'm not sure what to do at this point. Was thinking about snipping it off close to the fuel filter and trying to get it out more with the filter out of the way.

if the metal clip side is the one you cant get off , cutting off the filter might be the next step , make sure you leave enough of the line that you can grab it with a vise grip or something , after you cut it off you should be able to see in there and you will probably see that a finger on the spring is bent , and blocking where the filter tool is suppoed to go in.

if thats the problem (a bent finger) , you should be able to get a small pick in there and maybe hook it and just take it out or bent it back to get it past the lip on the filter line , you will have to get a new clip (or spring that goes in there , its cheap)

@ blade , did you mean you sprayed starting fluid in and it ran for a few seconds , if so its got to be a fuel problem

Well I got the clip thing off, just the tool isn't setting the spring inside the connector so that I can slide it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I can't even really fit tin snips in there and get enough leverage on it to cut it off.........

Back