02 Explorer auto headlamp and fog switch modification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer auto headlamp and fog switch modification

4pointsl0w

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer XLT 4.6
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum. I've been reading many posts on this site for about 2 years now and I recently decided to get a profile. I've been doing google searches and searches on this forum to find if there is a link somewhere that shows the steps to modify the autolamp switch on the early 2002 explorers so that the fog lamps can be turned on in the auto position. I've had no luck finding it. My Explorer was built in February of 2002 and it has the 4.0 SOHC. Its an XLT model with the most common opitions. It is to my knowledge that it is only early 02 explorers with fogs and autolamps that cannot have the autolamps and fog lamps on at the same time. It is also to my knowledge that somewhere on here there is a thread that explains how to file a "nubb" off the inside of the switch to turn the fog lamps on in the auto position. Does anyone know where I can find the link? Some people have said it to be a difficult task to modify the switch but it is a challenge that I am up to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone who is interested, I did this myself and it was a relatively easy process taking me about 20 minutes to do. I took pictures and photographs and will be creating a writeup hopefully sometime this weekend as I'm busy during the week. I did not end up finding a link how to do it. I just took it apart and managed to find a small plastic bracket inside that needed to be cut/filed. It was a complete success.

when you're done with the writeup, can you update this thread with the link? very interested in how to do this.. thx :thumbsup:

oh i never got a email saying you replied...to post a picture, upload them to your photobucket account. Then copy the "IMG CODE" to the text box on the forum post your writing. Click "preview post" to see it went through.

Also, the pictures might come out huge on this site. To minimize, you can use photobucket to resize them, then "replace with originals"

Back