02 Explorer - AWD low torque ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer - AWD low torque ?

4x4_eagle

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hi, I am new here :eek:

Having 4x4 problems with my 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 GAS.
During the winter got stuck in the snow and notice that when the wheels spin the light on the dash 4WD-HI lights up, but the wheels don't turn, only driver side rear wheel was spinning ?

Today got all 4 wheel in the air.
When the transmission is on neutral and you turn the shafts by hand only driver side tires rotates?
With engine running on drive all wheels rotates but you can easily stop the rotation of the wheels if you put foot on them?

Is this is normal?
What do you think is the problem?

Thank you very much!
:dpchug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and the dash light is an error code telling you that something is amiss with the 4WD system. Given neither front tire spinning in snow, it means the front driveshaft is not engaging. The system monitors wheel speeds, so it can tell there is a problem, but I don't think it has a way to tell you what it is.

I'd start by draining the fluid from the transfer case, you can R&R that in a very short time. You want it to not be black, and not low(near full).

Thanks.
Does the power from the engine goes straight to the rear wheels or is distributed from the transfer case as well?

The rear wheels are driven all of the time. The transfer case decides when there's tire slippage, and engages the front drive shaft. It uses the ABS sensors to monitor tire speeds. The dash switch gives you the choice of automatic TC control, or manually chosen 4WD high or low.

Thanks,
if the tire slips does the light 4WD High on the dash supposed to come on?

Any idea how this particular transfer case operate? Does it have a chain inside or work like a transmission and needs oil pressure or something?

The main reason the light comes on along with no front drive, is from some failure of the front drive to engage and correct the spinning detected. The Ford automatic 4WD TC's all have an internal clutch inside similar to the AC clutch, some magnetic clutch to connect the main drive to the front output shaft. There is a chain inside but the connection to the front shaft is that clutch device. If there aren't other notable symptoms like grinding or sounds, I'd guess that clutch or the electrical connection to it is out. First open the TC drain plug and see how bad the fluid looks.

The fluid looks black.
If i replace the fluid is this is going to help?

That indicates a lot of wear of the clutches inside, which may mean it isn't going to be able to function properly without removing and opened etc. It can't hurt to change it, just the cost of the fluid, isn't it still Mercon/Dexron III in your manual?

My 98 AWD that I bought last year has had black TC fluid, likely from PO usng mismatched tires. I've had new tires on it and changed the fluid twice. The AWD has a different kind of clutch inside than the 4WD TC, but it has wear components. My truck has worked fine so for mine the new fluid is good maintenance until I can do something more with the TC.

For your 4WD you might have that dash light on until the TC is worked on, but it shouldn't get worse as long as the tires are all the same diameter. Detected slipping(tires not matched is the same thing) is what makes the TC try to engage the front shaft.

Need special transfer case fluid - not plain ol Mercon.

Need special transfer case fluid - not plain ol Mercon.
The new trucks call for special TC fluid, $25 a quart stuff. That began around the 5th gen time frame, and online people have said it's not special, same as (I forgot which fluid) other stuff for $6 a quart. Our older trucks do very well with Mercon, just Mercon(Dexron III in the stores). The newer trucks had reports of odd overheating in their TC's, thus the new fluid spec. But again that was only newer trucks, say 2011+ models. There were no reports of such issues with older models.

Hard to find old Mercon and Mercon V is a no-no. Ford makes Mercon transfer case fluid.

Hard to find old Mercon and Mercon V is a no-no. Ford makes Mercon transfer case fluid.

Do you work for Ford, because as I said that is a high dollar not necessary TC fluid.

The Mercon is called for in these trucks, and all parts stores still carry Dexron III, which on every bottle states that it meats Mercon standards. I hate that it's gone up to $5+ a quart, but that's still cheap compared to that later TC fluid you've suggested twice.

Great, you can find the not needed TC fluid for double what Mercon sells for. Congratulations, you believe the new spec applies to all previous models, you go buy it for your 2002 truck. I'll stick with the actual recommended fluid, Mercon I, for all TC's before the current problem models which take the "special" fluid.

Great, you can find the not needed TC fluid for double what Mercon sells for. Congratulations, you believe the new spec applies to all previous models, you go buy it for your 2002 truck. I'll stick with the actual recommended fluid, Mercon I, for all TC's before the current problem models which take the "special" fluid.
I really dont care what you do, I just want to prevent somebody having TC issues because they used Mercon V.

I really dont care what you do, I just want to prevent somebody having TC issues because they used Mercon V.

No one told them to use Mercon V, you mentioned the Mercon V.

I don't care what you do, I told people to use Mercon, which is the recommended fluid. You told them to use the newest "special" TC fluid, which is way too expensive, and only for the newest models.

I just want to prevent somebody from wasting money on the "special" TC fluid you suggested. Have a good day.

No one told them to use Mercon V, you mentioned the Mercon V.

I don't care what you do, I told people to use Mercon, which is the recommended fluid. You told them to use the newest "special" TC fluid, which is way too expensive, and only for the newest models.

I just want to prevent somebody from wasting money on the "special" TC fluid you suggested. Have a good day.
Yea because saving money on fluid so that you get to rebuild / replace a TC makes soooo much sense.

Yea because saving money on fluid so that you get to rebuild / replace a TC makes soooo much sense.

Do you not read(understand) clearly? the proper fluid is Mercon, not Mercon V, or the late crap that Ford recommends for 5th gen Explorers. That stuff you suggested runs over $20 a quart from Ford, where I saw the link to it last year. I read the threads of 5th gen Explorer discussing their TC issues, 5th gen trucks, not 4th or 3rd etc.

They pointed to fluid specs for that new "special" TC fluid, and matching specs of another existing fluid, which costs under $10 a quart. That was last year, hey maybe Ford dropped prices(doubtful), or the alternative fluid is not available now.

But all of that relates only to the later trucks, not yours, not mine, and not the hundreds or thousands of people who will read this thread. You are misunderstanding the application of the fluids, and trying to mislead everyone to do what you are, using the wrong and way overpriced fluid in your truck. If they(Ford) make a "Mercon" TC fluid, then they are breaking the law(the license to produce it expired years ago), and why is it $12 a quart when the old Dexron III is still $6 or less. Lots of doesn't make sense there.

Like all things, identify the facts and find the best solution. Paying $12 a quart or $25 a quart, is stupid, for a fluid you do not need, and the right fluid is readily available at all parts stores, for about $6 a quart, less at Walmart. Dexron III and Mercon was the ATF used in the early 90's, sold everywhere in the same bottle labeled Mercon/Dexron III. The chemical requirements were not identical, but the manufacturers made that one fluid to meet both specs. Since the Mercon I license expired, they cannot call it a Mercon alone now, but they did not stop making the fluid. They now just call it Dexron III, and the bottles still say it meets the Mercon standards. It's the same fluid, they didn't spend money to alter it so it doesn't meet Mercon specs. They still make it and it's still the correct fluid for the transfer case of every vehicle it came in.

This is ok to use and a little cheaper than the Motorcraft:

855459.jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/VAL0/855459/N2623.oap

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid is a fully synthetic offering that meets the performance needs for transfer cases calling for Ford XL-12, GM Auto Trak II, as well as transfer cases requiring ATF fluids (DEX/MERC, ATF +4, etc). Recommended for use in most Ford, GM and Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep) models

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@CDW6212R "Paying $12 a quart or $25 a quart, is stupid, for a fluid you do not need, is stupid........"

As is also paying $9.00 for a gallon of 50-50 Prestone/Water mix, when a gallon of 100% Prestone is $11.00 or so, thus paying $4.50 for a half-gallon of WATER! Another shining example of hoodwinking the unknowing and unsuspecting public. imp

Back