'02 Explorer blowing fuse #15, loss of power windows, instruments, radio, int lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer blowing fuse #15, loss of power windows, instruments, radio, int lights

kalabherdiya

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I just found the solution to a problem on my 02 Explorer, and wanted to post the story here, in case someone is having the same issue. I have found solutions to several problems on this or other forums, so wanted to share my problem and solution.

My truck was blowing fuse #15 under the hood, causing me to lose power windows, interior lights, radio, and all instruments. After much troubleshooting, I found that when the key was on it would never blow the fuse. Any time the key was in the accessory position, the fuse would blow instantly. If no key in the ignition, the fuse would blow if the door was open. You real experts out there have already probably figured it out, but it took me a little while. The problem was a short in the puddle light (the light under the driver's side mirror). Thus, it was only blowing when in accessory mode, not when the key was "on".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks on following up on that. Good to know.

Ok, may have spoken too soon

I thought that I had found the source of the problem, but haven't been able to get it working. I could use a little advice as far as where to go next. I find it strange that when the truck is in a position that instantly blows a fuse if I put one in it (namely, with a door open), I don't see a short between the not-hot side of the fuse and ground. I would expect to see this, because as soon as I put a fuse in it pops.

I have removed both puddle lights. Both legs of the lamp housing show open to ground on the drivers side. Both legs show short to ground on the passenger side. When I found this, I was sure that I had found my problem. But, now I am not so sure. What should I see when checking these to ground?

I am going to check my puddle lights as I have exactly the same issues.

hello im new here and i have the same problem did u find a solution

Hi im new here too and am also having the exact same problem..... I disconected every thing in the door and checked the wires in between and same thing.... does anybody post solutions on here?... im only finding more of other peoples headaches and its giving me an even bigger headache.. somebody please help!!! thanks

This is the solution to the original post:

The problem was a short in the puddle light (the light under the driver's side mirror). Thus, it was only blowing when in accessory mode, not when the key was "on".

blackeye102 said:
I disconected every thing in the door and checked the wires in between and same thing

Did you do this for both doors?

turns out it was a short inside the driver side puddle light/mirror. I thought I unplugged everything in the door panel, but i did not see that wire/connector because its hidden under the anti raddle padding

So my fuse # 15 blowing was because of a short in the driver side puddle light/electric mirror

I forgot to mention that a while back I broke the driver side mirror/puddle lamp and fixed it with a very cheapo ebay replacement... Hence my problem in the first place. Had I just got an original Ford mirror, this time wasting nightmare could have probably been avoided.
Thanks for everyone's posts they were a big help!!

Back