02 Explorer Driver side seat belt buckle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer Driver side seat belt buckle.

jimspinnin

Reaction score
City, State
Villas, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I noticed that not too long after I purchased my Eddie Bauer 02 about 2 years ago I have been having problems with the driver side seat belt buckle. It is constantly in the depressed release position and gives me a heck of a time keeping it latched. Anyone else have this problem and anyone know the ford part number to get it replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't find the part #, but after thinking about it, I STRONGLY recommend getting it properly replaced AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

even if its expensive, how much will it cost if someone causes an accident and you are injured or killed?

I am getting it looked at tomorrow when I am done with work.

The latch side of the seat belt (inboard side) has a pretensioner on it. Be careful. It is a pyrotechnic device. In a crash situation the pretensioner will "blow" and pull the seat belt down to keep you in the seat. Read the shop manuals prior to working on this. You may want to check the wrecking yards.

if its just a buckle you might get lucky at a junkyard, although someone told me once if the truck was involved in an accident you can't re-use the belt/latches. . . .so they may not sell you one but you can try.

Well, $150 later, and that includes my discount, it is replaced and working great.

same experience

i had the same problem with 97 explorer and fixed it by replacing the latch part
with the one that i found on a junk yard (or actually a pick-a-part yard).
it cost me about 15 dollars and the replacement was pretty simple.
Once you start it, you can easily figure out.

Back