02' Explorer Limited 4x4 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02' Explorer Limited 4x4 V8

Coopsgal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Explorer Lmt'd V8 4x4
Just bought 02' Explorer Limited, 4x4, V8 w/ 150k Miles. This particular vehicle needed TLC. We needed to replace the trans, tires, battery just to get it home. Then had to replace Key Fob and rear Spring / Strut after getting it here. It was getting 10MPG so we gave her a tuneup. Now she gets 20MPG on the highway. We still need to replace the 4x4 module, have the A/C checked, replace fog lights ( missing) and find out what the oil issue is. Other than listed above she's running smoothly now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool mate, welcome

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Got any pics?

Just bought 02' Explorer Limited, 4x4, V8 w/ 150k Miles. This particular vehicle needed TLC. We needed to replace the trans, tires, battery just to get it home. Then had to replace Key Fob and rear Spring / Strut after getting it here. It was getting 10MPG so we gave her a tuneup. Now she gets 20MPG on the highway. We still need to replace the 4x4 module, have the A/C checked, replace fog lights ( missing) and find out what the oil issue is. Other than listed above she's running smoothly now.

Hope she gives you good service. My '02 limited, bought new, now w/ 114K miles is still like new and worth maybe 7-8K tops. ALl in all she's been a keeper, but I am not sure about her ability to last another 9 years/111K miles.

Welcome. What's your oil issue?

Welcome aboard, hope she treats you well...mine has had its problems but always been reliable.

Burning Oil. Also may be a leak under hood. Planning on driving it until something needs to be done. Was toying with idea of having engine rebuilt.

Burning Oil. Also may be a leak under hood. Planning on driving it until something needs to be done. Was toying with idea of having engine rebuilt.

Big delta between buring oil and leaking it, I would surely determine which is which before doing an elective engine overhaul. Call me lazy.

Are you actually seeing blue smoke come out the tailpipe under acceleration?

Was told by a family member who was following me on the highway that it was smoking , he is also a mechanic. I cannot tell from looking in the side or rear view mirrors. There are also indications of a leak under the hood.

The color of the smoke is important, as well as the circumstances under which the smoke occurs.

The oil leak has nothing to do with burning oil, obviously.

Before doing an expensive teardown I would do a more thorough examination.

Back