'02 Explorer needs new Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer needs new Transmission

Vivak

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer
I have a 2002 4wheel drive Exporer XLT that needs a new transmission. I'm looking for ways to get my car a new transmission or rebuilt or used for under $2000. I was wondering can transmissions from other years be put in my explorer? And could I put a manual transmission in? I've heard that manual transmissions are easier to maintain and check. Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated. And side note-- Whats more appropriate Tranny Trannie or Trans :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 4wheel drive Exporer XLT that needs a new transmission. I'm looking for ways to get my car a new transmission or rebuilt or used for under $2000. I was wondering can transmissions from other years be put in my explorer? And could I put a manual transmission in? I've heard that manual transmissions are easier to maintain and check. Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated. And side note-- Whats more appropriate Tranny Trannie or Trans :)

Call 'em whatever you like! Sometimes cusswords! Replace auto with a manual is a very good idea, but a real can of worms to bring about. If your busted transmission is rebuildable, it might be possible to get it fixed for under $2k, but no way, IMO, will you find one rebuilt, that is properly rebuilt by a certified rebuilder, not Uncle Melvin's Bumper Shop, for under $2k.

To my knowledge, it is nearly impossible to buy one brand new; certainly the only way to get one new is to buy a new vehicle from Ford (and even then, I sometimes wonder....). imp

If you decide to go stick keep us posted. I would love to do the same when my trans fails. (Isnt it sad I say when not if.)

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to call around to junk yards and see if I can find one that way. I doubt I'll go the manual route with all the additions, but if for some reason I do I will definetely keep you guys posted.

I'd love to hear what other people did when their 100,000 miles were up! How many got a rebuild and hows that going? Did you find an expiration date on parts you weren't expecting?

What is the problem with the tranny that you have? I'm in the middle of replacing the intermediate band on mine..just curious.

I cant remember the exact problem. Something like Solenoid B --but I'm just grasping for familiar words from my memory. Are you replacing the band yourself?

Yes, just finished the band replacement today...works fine now. If you are considering doing it yourself, just message me and I will get you some info and whatever advice you need that will help..

Thanks I'll go get it tested again. Did you have to take the transmission out to change the band? Congrats on your fix!

Back